Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wifi 6 or wifi 5 computer

tsteevie
Aspirant

wifi 6 or wifi 5 computer

I am looking to buy a new computer with wifi 5 or wifi 6.  I was told by a friend that this computer will not be compatible with my ORBI RBR50???  Do I have to upgrade my ORBI?  Thanks...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
tsteevie
Aspirant

Thank you so much and thanks for your quick reply!  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@tsteevie wrote:

I am looking to buy a new computer with wifi 5 or wifi 6.  I was told by a friend that this computer will not be compatible with my ORBI RBR50???  Do I have to upgrade my ORBI?  Thanks...

No new WiFi system is needed.  WiFi6 is "backward compatible" with WiFi5 (and even earlier WiFi standards).  The network adapter and the WiFi access point exchange messages about their capabilities during the connection process.  When the adapter finds an access point that supports WiFi6, it will take advantage of the situation. When the access point offers only 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11b, etc. that's what the connection will be.

If you plan to keep the new computer any signficant length of time, a WiFi6 network capability is what you want to buy.

Message 2 of 3
tsteevie
Aspirant

Thank you so much and thanks for your quick reply!  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7