Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wifi connections in air traffic flight path

Kkendra
Tutor

wifi connections in air traffic flight path

Has anyone experience network interruptions (network drops oftern) when airplance fly over?  I am thinking the broadcast something to the tower at the airport and it interrupts my network, same frequency as the internet (Orbi).

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you had not set that up initially, then you may need to factory reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard with a PC and web browser. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 17

All Replies
tucsontico
Virtuoso

WiFi can be interuppted by many Radio Frequncy (RF) signals. Any RF transmission doesn't stay completely in it's designated frequency, there is always "spillover" into other bands. It is VERY possible the dropped signals you are experiencing are due to air traffic radars, BUT the drop outs could be simply co-channel interfernece from a neighbor's WiFi.

Try changing channels, especially on the 2.4 mHz band. Channels 1, 6 or 11 are best to try. However, most modern routers (ORBI included) will automatically switch channels to avoid constant interfernce.  

Here's an article that explains why WiFi works the way it does: 802.eleventy what? A deep dive into why Wi-Fi kind of sucks | Ars Technica

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 17
Kkendra
Tutor

Do I do that in the Orbi app?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 17
Kkendra
Tutor

Well I havent figured out where I can find the settings.  All I see is device manager, security, internet speed. etc.  Even under WIFI settings no advance setting tab.  also under router settings rbr5o no options to change configurations.  this is the orbi netgear app.

Do I need to access the website itself. Netgear.com?  

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Do make any kind of changes you need to use a PC and web browser and log into  the RBRs web page at orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1

Message 6 of 17
Kkendra
Tutor

well I tried my app id and password but I got a 401 unauthorized access error and denied.  It is asking me to reset my router password. Do I have to do that or just try with the router password which I am guessing the password was on the bottom of the router?  😞 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you had not set that up initially, then you may need to factory reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard with a PC and web browser. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 8 of 17
Kkendra
Tutor

Got it.  Now I can make the suggested changes.

Message 9 of 17
Kkendra
Tutor

I set 2.4GHZ to 11 and 5GHZ is set to 48.   

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I'd also reduce the power from 100% to 50% and see how it goes...

Message 11 of 17
Kkendra
Tutor

just to wrap this up.  I changed the channel.   Ill see how it works.  

@Kkendra wrote:

I set 2.4GHZ to 11 and 5GHZ is set to 48.   

I appreciate the help.

Message 12 of 17
Kkendra
Tutor

just to wrap this up.  I changed the channel.   Ill see how it works. 

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 14 of 17
Kkendra
Tutor

Still having issues so I am going to change the channel again today.

Message 15 of 17
Kkendra
Tutor

How do I look at the power setting ?

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements