Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wifi speed

Martoons
Aspirant

wifi speed

my internet provider says my modem is giving out up to 200Mbps. Does this product allow that connection speed or does it only provide up to 100Mbps?

Also, I've called your customer service line and it keeps hanging up.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: wifi speed

the rbr20 is gigabit capable. 

So you should be able to hit gig speeds over a wired connection. 

Wireless is a different matter. 

Message 2 of 6
Martoons
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply, but does that mean that as a wifi router this product only can handle up to 100Mbps?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not what I meant. 

But it gets more complicated with wireless devices. 

1. 2.4ghz network is slower than 5ghz so hitting >100mbps over 2.4ghz for most routers is struggle. and its worse in congested areas

2. the devices can be a limiting factor as well. a 1x1 wireless devices is going to be slower than a 2x2

3. size of home. the orbi's need a minimum distance between them as well as they can be to far apart as well. 

4. contruction of home. certain materials block wifi better than others. so the construction of your home makes a difference. 

I'd recommen reading some tested reviews of the systems to see optimal tested speeds. Here's on that compares several different systems. It does include a rbk40 and rbk30 both of which should perform similar to the rbk20.  

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33125-wi-fi-system-roundup?showall=&start=...

Message 4 of 6
Martoons
Aspirant

Thank you. the 2.4 & 5 numbers are the modem speeds, right? Spectrum says the modem should automatically switch to 5ghz. I don't what to do. I just need the fastest wifi speeds i can get from the provider. and the provider says i'm able to get over 100Mbps. I am so confused.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

2.4ghz and 5ghz are the wireless networks. 

2.4ghz is a slower network but it broadcasts further than 5ghz. 

5ghz is much faster and doesn't suffer from as much interference. but it doesn't broadcast as far. 

Not sure exactly what your isp is telling you or what your situation is because you didn't describe what issue you're having with it. so its tough to advise you on it. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7