× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alan connected to wifi but not internet

Petroc
Aspirant

Alan connected to wifi but not internet

I am possibly attempting to do something logically possible or have a lack of understanding I want to create separate VLAN as follows

1. Office
  2. Internet of things
  3. Media

Only one and three require access to the Internet and however, I would vlan 2  needs to be accessible by Wi-Fi but inaccessible from the rest of the network my sense is that this doesn't make logical sense as the Router would act as is own  switch and effectively join all the vlans together as soon as I vlan 2 baxk to the router in order to retain access to Wi-F(because of the common port to maintain access to the internet and wifi for the other vlan is this correct and so what I'm trying to achieve is impossible? or perhaps there is a better solution I have not thought of my ambition is to get any insecure  devices away from my Office network. Somewhere I need to connect  my readynas so that  that it is accessible to VLAN one end 3

Perhaps I am being overly cautious about security and things like my IKEA Smart bulb hub the media vvlan has a music streamer that appears to be not password protected so would like to keep this out of the way.

What ideas and suggestions welcome.

My apologies if I have not explained this very clearly.

thanks, tom

Model: GS108E|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Alan connected to wifi but not internet

Hi Tom,

Who t.f. is Alan?

If you are in the lucky situation to have a router supporting three networks (including three dedicated wireless SSIDs, three different IP networks, three DHCP servers, ...), and if you have a Web/Smart/Managed switch - yes, you can.

But wait.

Your IKEA controller(s) is/re the only part(s) which are connected to your IoT network - the bulbs and lights all are not on WiFi ... it's all Zigbee 3.0, no IP. And I promise you it will be very unhandy having to change the wireless network before you can switch or dim lights.

Wait again. How do you intend to play media from your Apple device using AIrplay, from your Android device using Google Cast, or from PC or NAS stored media by using UPnP AV/DLNA.

That much about the well meant idea to have IoT or media isolated - this works only for plain Internet/cloud based IT, players, Apps. Here again, how will you switch on lights when you come home after midnight in the dark*, and want to switch on some light and the Internet connection is down?

Nice plan - reality will bring you back on earth soon again.

*Assuming you don't live north of the Arctic Circle or south of the Antarctic Circle 8-)

Message 2 of 3
Petroc
Aspirant

Re: Alan connected to wifi but not internet

🙂 alan is my dogy typist who pressed a instead of v 😉 i thinkthe updhot is i'm trying to achiee ythe impossible which was pretty much my originsl conclusion, but thanks for confirming i'll leave it while it works:)

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements