× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Auto-Video Vlan Setup

sbankscharlie
Aspirant

Auto-Video Vlan Setup

Currently I have a seperate network just for my video cameras so everything is on VLAN1.  I have four Axis Cameras along with two other switches and miscellanous equipment including my NVR.  I have worked with VLANs in the past  but have never understood the Auto-??? Vlans.  This switch has an Auto-Video Vlan which I have now enabled.  According to what I have read the switch should now auto configure my multicast traffic for that VLAN but nothing has changed.  I would appreciate it if someone would explain to me what I need to do to utilize my Auto-Video Vlan.

As a side note:  The last time I worked with VLAN's was with IP Phones and I created my own VLAN for the phones even though the switch had Auto-VoIP.

Thanks

Model: GS324TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 9
sbankscharlie
Aspirant

Re: Auto-Video Vlan Setup

Really?????  No one will help me with this?

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

There is not much rocket science in these Auto-VLAN configs.

If you are connecting multiple devices to a port (like a computer and a VoIP phone, or even more devices on a small edge switch like a computer, an VoIP phone, a security camera) you can run the computer on the primary VLAN (port untagged, PIVD same), while the VoIP phone and the camera can be associated - based on the OID-part of the MAC address - can be automatically associated with the VoIP resp. the video VLAN.

If done normally, you would either have to configure access ports for each VLAN on the edge switch associated untagged to the computer, one access port untagged for the VoIP VLAN for the VoIP phone, and one access port untagged for the video VLAN for the camera and have a trunked uplink with all or all minus one VLAN tagged. Or if using a simple unmanaged edge switch, you would have to configure the VoIP phone interface tagged for the voice VLAN (this is commonly easy possible), the camera interface tagged for the video VLAN (not a typical feature on cameras), ...

Message 3 of 9
sbankscharlie
Aspirant

If I thought Auto VLANS were rocket science then I would not be confused.  It is the "Auto" part that I don't get, the rest of what you said I know.

When I had phones, they never auto configured for Auto-VoIP.  I had to create my own VLAN and configure the switch manually.

NOW I have cameras and a switch with Auto-Video.  I have enabled Auto-Video but the cameras remain on VLAN 1.  

The reason for my post is I understand and can work with vlans manually but twice now the Auto vlan feature isn't  do what I understood it should be doing.  Shouldn't my cameras automatically show they are on the video vlan?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Have the camera OIDs configured for the (Auto-)Video VLAN?

Message 5 of 9
sbankscharlie
Aspirant

If I understand your last question, no the cameras OIDs have not configured for the (Auto)-Video.  There is no indication that the switch is aware that the cameras are any different then the other devices connect to the switch.  

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@sbankscharlie wrote:

If I understand your last question, no the cameras OIDs have not configured for the (Auto)-Video.  There is no indication that the switch is aware that the cameras are any different then the other devices connect to the switch.  

Well, the OIDs (the first half of the device eg. the camera MAC address(es)) must be configured on the switch to make the the Auto-"any" aware that a certain MAC should be associated with the Auto-VLAN of course. As I said: There is no rocket science magically "detecting" what could be a camera, or a VoIP phone, ...

However, I must admit reviewing the S350 Series 24-Port (PoE+) and 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switches with 2 or 4 SFP P... does not show an OID config requirement for the Auto-Video VLAN (very different from many other current Netgear switch models). Much more it does talk of "Auto-Video Multicast" settings only. At this point I'm more than confused on how this feature should work here in reality - considering a camera does initially connect to the data VLAN and get it's IP address there on detecting an IGMP Multicast registration probably?

Don't these switches have an OUI table config on Switching -> Auto-Video -> OUI-Based -> OUI Table similar to Auto-VoIP?
Message 7 of 9
sbankscharlie
Aspirant

Wow!!!  It took seven messages for you to get on the same page as where I started with this.  On my last network (over 3 years ago) my Voip phones OID where Avaya2.  Even though everything was in place, I could never get them on the Auto-VoIP Vlan.  I recall accepting being treated like an idiot because I never worked with Vlans before.  I ended up creating and using three Vlans.

It seems like the only way to get a meaningful response on these boards is to prove you are not an idiot.  Maybe I should have posted my resume that shows over 25 years in the IT field!  So, we have now both concluded that this should not be rocket science and that it is not FM by which the switch identifies devices.  We both know that all devices start out on the default Vlan.  The confusion, which is why I posted in the first place, is still not resolved.  There is no OID table for the cameras, which did not seem to work for my VoIP.  Auto-Video does not show up under switching, as does Auto-VoiP.  Auto-Video shows up under switching | multicast and there is a table for IGMP snooping.  I can setup Wireshark to watch my multicast traffic so I know it is there.

Eventially, I will need to add a second network to this switch to expand my data LAN.  Eventially, I will have about 20 camearas off this switch.  Fortunately, I did not purchase this switch because of the Auto-xxx features and will be able to manually setup my own Vlans again.  I just wanted to understand why these features are there and was willing to accept that I missed something.  Again, really dismayed I had to put this much effort to backup up my confussion.  Unless someone from Netgear wants to prove me wrong, I will just leave it at the Auto-Vlan features don't work.

Model: GS324TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

When you consider we're in a customer to customer discussion, and one of the two does not have any of these switches S350 Series 24-Port (PoE+) and 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switches with 2 or 4 SFP Ports Models GS324T GS324TP GS348T at hand covered by this user manual .... it would be sufficient to tell us there is why ever no OUI table config option. I've already expressed my astonishment that this should be magically Multicast controlled - what does not make any sense to me, because by far not every video device does immediately after start-up register on an IGMP Multicast stream ...

Look, we both made some mistakes here - for my part I had assumed wrongly these switches should have a configurable OUI table for the Auto-Video-VLAN (gee that's why I asked) ... just like several other newer Netger switches have 8-)

I don't have a connection to the product engineer in charge for these switches. Would appreciate if you open a support ticket about this oddity, and keep us posted on how Netgear explains the way this magic Auto-Video-VLAN is supposed to work in the real world please.

Not a question of age - my first experience on Ethernet dates back from late 1979, DELNI, H4000's, thick yellow cables, till I got my "own" farm of VAX 11/780, /785 and /750, plus some early MicroVAXes connected by DEMPR - virtually the first eight port thin wire repeaters. And here I've started with a community member seeking for assistance on something that sounded obvious to me, and nobody wanted to burn thier fingers..

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements