× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BUG: GS116Ev2, Addig port description permanently disables port.

Hildbrandt
Tutor

BUG: GS116Ev2, Addig port description permanently disables port.

Device: GS116Ev2

Firmware: 2.6.0.48 (latest as of writing)

Issue:
After adding a port description to a port, the port speed is set to "Disabled", and no amount of changing the setting can return it to auto or any other setting.

How to reproduce:

1. Take a GS116Ev2 with firmware 2.6.0.48.
  2. Factory reset that thing.
  3. Login and do initial password setup.
  4. Go to port configuration.
  5. Select any port and add a port description.
  6. "Apply"
  7. .... profit port is borked!

Only way i have found to "restore" the port is to factory reset the switch.
Might be an older model, but it is still sold so i hope there is interest in fixing this.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: BUG: GS116Ev2, Addig port description permanently disables port.

@Hildnrandt

Welcome to the Community!

Thank you for reporting this issue with the GS116Ev2

What browser are you using when accessing the admin page and making changes? Have you tried accessing it on a different workstation and browser and see if it has the same issue? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Hildnrandt

Welcome to the Community!

Thank you for reporting this issue with the GS116Ev2

What browser are you using when accessing the admin page and making changes? Have you tried accessing it on a different workstation and browser and see if it has the same issue? 

Message 2 of 8
Hildbrandt
Tutor

Hi,

i should have done more basic troubleshooting instead of going after the firmware.
I have issues in Firefox (101.0-1) but it behaves as expected in Chromium (102.0.5005.61-1)

Message 3 of 8
NL_Toontje
Initiate

Can I ask why the (forced) use of a different browser makes this bug solved? In my humble opinion, the bug description was not compete and instead of 'Switch crashes when trying to set a description on a port', the description should be 'Switch crashes when trying to set a description on a port with Firefox'. That is still a bug.

I encounter the same issue and other issues (also with Firefox 101.0.1) with FW 2.6.0.48.

Trying to set a fixed IP-address gives the same result (switch crashed, only solution is a factory reset).

Trying to remove vlan 1 completely and changing the last port to a different PVID than vlan 1 (switch crashed, only solution is a factory reset).

When trying to change a ports PVID, I have to select the port that I want to change + the port before that port. Only select the required port results in a no change.

So, if I want to change the PVID of ports 2 and 3, I have to select ports 1, 2 and 3, choose the desired vlan and click apply. Magically only port 2 and 3 get the new PVID, port 1 stays untouched. (when I only select port 2 and 3, only the PVID of port 3 changes and port 2 stays untouched....)

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Nobody stated that neither any bug were fixed, or issues are resolved.

Either way, it's odd the issue does show up with with FF, probably just with FF on a specific platform (Windows?, MacOS?, Linux?), while Chromium does not show a certain issue. @Marc_V please check with switch engineering and QA after querying sufficient information. have some ideas, but I'm just a user here, have no GS116Ev2 at hand.

Message 5 of 8
NL_Toontje
Initiate

I use Linux Mint 20.2 as OS and FF 101.0.1 as browser.

Switch is a Netgear GS116Ev2 with (the latest) FW 2.6.0.48.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Wild idea: Try your mobile phone or tablet Web browser!

Message 7 of 8
i_use_JGS516PE
Aspirant

Can confirm. Bulk-changing the port description also locked me out of my Netgear JGS516PE with firmware version 2.6.0.48

I tend to believe that when multiple items are selected on the port status page and you hit Apply then somewhere in the background a for-loop is invoked and whatever is in the for-loop appears to be faulty and somehow does the equivalent of changing the setting in the speed column drop-down menu, leading to the port to be in disabled status.

This seems to be easy to fix by whoever wrote the for-loop for that specific part of the GUI.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements