× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cable Modem, Switch, and Wireless Router

Cable Modem, Switch, and Wireless Router

I'm trying to figure out how to setup my network.  I have the following equipment:

-Arris SB8200 cable modem with 1GB internet

-Asus AC-5300 wireless router

-Netgear GS752TPP

I'm wondering how to set things up.  Below is one method:

Cable Modem ---> Wireless Router ---> Network Switch (in this case, would teaming the ports off the router and connecting them to the switch make any difference)?

However, I'm also wondering if below will give me better results:

Cable Modem ---> Network Switch ---> Wireless Router

But I'm wondering if I should get an SFP module to allow copper connection between the cable modem to network switch?  Or is the speed low enough not to even worry about it?

I'm probably over thinking this so I'd apprecaite any suggestions, thanks. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Cable Modem, Switch, and Wireless Router

Link aggregation between router and switch allows your devices to treat multiple Ethernet links as if they were a single link to increase bandwidth or provide fault tolerance. To set up link aggregation, you must create a link aggregation group (LAG) on both devices. Link aggregation between your ASUS router and your GS752TP switch offers increased bandwidth over a link of up to 2 Gbps.

ASUS router LAG port 1 and 2 Dynamic Link aggregation (802.3ad)
NETGEAR GS752TP switch the LAG Type should be change from Static to LACP.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Hi  NobleSpartan117, 

I would recommend this type of network setup (first method).

Cable modem -> ASUS Router -> Switch (GS752TP)

If ASUS router support Link Aggregation (LAG), you can connect 2 switch LAN ports as uplink to router.

Please note that you need to check what type of LAG support the ASUS router either Static LAG or LACP. The GS752TP should both LAG type.

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Hi @Nodism1125, What for a LAG switch<->router if there is just  a single GbE Internet connection?

Message 3 of 6
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Link aggregation between router and switch allows your devices to treat multiple Ethernet links as if they were a single link to increase bandwidth or provide fault tolerance. To set up link aggregation, you must create a link aggregation group (LAG) on both devices. Link aggregation between your ASUS router and your GS752TP switch offers increased bandwidth over a link of up to 2 Gbps.

ASUS router LAG port 1 and 2 Dynamic Link aggregation (802.3ad)
NETGEAR GS752TP switch the LAG Type should be change from Static to LACP.

Message 4 of 6

Well I finally got around to setting up the switch and router.  On the Asus RT-AC5300 (Router), I enabled bonding 802.3ad for Ports 1 and 2 and connected them to Ports 51 and 52 on the GS752TPP gigabit switch.  On the switch, I setup a LAG with Ports 51 and 52 as members, Hash mode as "1 Src/Dest MAC, incoming port", STP Mode enable, Link Trap enable, and LAG Type LACP.  However, the LAG State shows as Link Down. 

Not sure what the issue could be.  LAG state also shows Link Down if I switch from LACP to Static.  Any ideas?

Message 5 of 6

Disregard my last post, I screwed up the LAG setting on the switch by specifying 51 and 51, which are the SFP ports.  When I corrected it to ports 47 and 48, Lag State when to Link Up.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements