× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't change the Switch Stacking number on M4300 without losing the IP address.

boe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can't change the Switch Stacking number on M4300 without losing the IP address.

I have a couple of M4300's running 12.0.17.9 firmware.   I have them set up with 5 vlans.   VLAN 10 is the PVID VLAN.   The switches get DHCP with a reserved address on VLAN 10 from the DHCP server.  I do not want to use a static IP - reserved is more functional.

The switches are working great standalone.  They service all the VLANs correctly.   DHCP comes from our firewall.  Our firewall is connected on port 1 of the M4300.   All VLANs are tagged on port 1.   Sonicwalls don't have settings for VLANs.   I've set up about 20 alcatels and 30 netgears this way as well as 10 dell/hp/micro without issue.   They were all S3300 netgears though.

When I change the stacking ID on the switch from 1 to another number, the M4300 no longer has a working dhcp address - tested on VLAN 1 and VLAN 10 and checked the DHCP server - no addresses are leased.  I've rebooted the switch - still no DHCP address pulled from the DHCP server.    Devices connected to it now only are on VLAN 1 - no longer getting an IP on the preferred Vlan ID (10).

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't change the Switch Stacking number on M4300 without losing the IP address.

@boe,

Just found out from the NETGEAR Support Team that you already have an ongoing support ticket.  You may want to post the progress of it here.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
boe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Can't change the Switch Stacking number on M4300 without losing the IP address.

No progress yet - it has been transferred to a higher level of support.

Message 3 of 4
boe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tech support is transferring me to engineering.  I really hope to hear back soon.  I realize engineering only had the case for a couple of days but I started my request well over a week ago and we have a move in date at the end of the week.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements