× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't get GS110TP to work as simple as GS105E

APDK66
Aspirant

Can't get GS110TP to work as simple as GS105E

For my work I have to check services going over utp links in different vlans. I used a GS105E with its mirror function. I can connect the GS105E without any vlan configuration and all traffic of dozens of vlans passes transparent over the switch.

Now I have to do the same over fiber optics and got a GS110TP for that but can't get it to work as simple as before with the GS105E.

Now it looks like that I have to configure a lot of vlans and that the GS110TP is restricted to 64 vlans.

Does someone know how to do it similar on the GS110TP as on the GS105E?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
APDK66
Aspirant

Re: Can't get GS110TP to work as simple as GS105E

So I understand I can't use this switch for what I want. I need to check uplinks containing 250+ vlans.

Besides the different configuration effort each time it has a limit of 64 vlans.

I have to look for another solution.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi APDK66,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the current firmware version of the GS110TP?

b. Have tried to reboot the GS110TP?

c. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on the GS110TP?

I look forward to your response.  Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
APDK66
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

thanks for your answer,

The switch has firmware version 5.4.2.19. I did reset and do a factory reset.

The current situation under test:

- factory default setting 

- link with vlan 4, 6 and 7 connected to port 1 & 2 of the switch.

no traffic passes the switch.

Arjan

Message 3 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi APDK66,

Here are my follow-up questions below:

a. Are ports 1 and 2 of the GS110TP connected to another switch?  

b. What are the port members of VLANs 4, 6 and 7? 

Kindly post a screenshot of your detailed network setup.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
APDK66
Aspirant

image.png

Message 5 of 11
APDK66
Aspirant

The trunk carries vlan 4,6 and 7 for different services. Connected with the GS105E it works with default config. Connected with GS110TP with default confifig it doesn't work.

Message 6 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @APDK66,

@APDK66 wrote:

The trunk carries vlan 4,6 and 7 for different services. 

Kindly set ports 1 and 2 as tagged (T) ports.  What is the behavior and the LED color of ports 1 and 2?

You may use other ports of the GS110TP as trunk ports to isolate the problem.  Just make sure to set it as tagged (T) ports.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 11
APDK66
Aspirant

I did set the ports to trunk on vlan1 the default vlan. That is the only place to set tagged/untagged mode.
Only when I define vlan 4,6 and 7 in the switch it is working when I make the tagged ports a member of those vlans. Without defining vlans the switch just won't forward any frame like the GS105E only untagged frames.
The port connected to the CPE/router is blinking while it sends PADI frames to setup a PPPoE in vlan4. The led of the port connected to the FiberNt is burning green but not blinking.
I think when you want to use this switch you must always define (and  know) all the vlans on the trunk and the number must not exceed the 64.

Message 8 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @APDK66,

@APDK66 wrote:

I did set the ports to trunk on vlan1 the default vlan. That is the only place to set tagged/untagged mode.
Only when I define vlan 4,6 and 7 in the switch it is working when I make the tagged ports a member of those vlans. Without defining vlans the switch just won't forward any frame like the GS105E only untagged frames.

@APDK66 wrote:

I think when you want to use this switch you must always define (and  know) all the vlans on the trunk and the number must not exceed the 64.

I would agree that proper VLAN configuration is required on the GS110TP.  I conclude that not all switches would work instantly with the given default configuration like the GS105E.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
APDK66
Aspirant

So I understand I can't use this switch for what I want. I need to check uplinks containing 250+ vlans.

Besides the different configuration effort each time it has a limit of 64 vlans.

I have to look for another solution.

Message 10 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi APDK66,

You may want to check and consider the ProSafe Gigabit PoE/PoE+ Smart Managed Switches that supports 256 VLANs on this link below:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/GS516TP-GS728TP-GS728TPP-GS752TP.pdf

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements