× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can you clear up contradicting information about the JGS516PE switch. Is it managed or unmanaged

ChrisWhatever
Aspirant

Can you clear up contradicting information about the JGS516PE switch. Is it managed or unmanaged?

Hi,

I hope you can clear something up for me. I have to perform service on network switches JGS516PE and JGS524E.

In preparation for the visit I found contradicting information for the JGS516PE switch. Is it managed or unmanaged?

The original data sheet from the planning stage of the project says JGS516PE is an unmanaged switch (this data sheet is not from Netgear themselves it seems):

JGS516PE.png

A data sheet downloaded from Netgear website says JGS516PE is a gigabit ethernet plus switch:

JGS516PE_managed.png

yet another netgear sheet says JGS516PE is a gigabit ethernet smart managed plus switch:

JGS516PE_smart_managed.png

(Because I am in Germany the netgear website sometimes switches back to germany hence the mixed languages)

It seems that the JGS516PE is a managed switch for sure and the first data sheet confused JGS516PE  with the unmanaged JGS516.

What is the difference between a smart managed plus switch and a plus switch?

The situation with the JGS524E is somewhat clearer, the original sheet from the planning state says it is a smart managed plus switch (unless it is a JGS524 or JGS524v2). I should be able to get the right model from the type labels on the devices, right?

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards,

Chris

Model: JGS516PE|ProSafe Plus 16 ports switch with PoE, JGS524E|ProSafe Plus 24 ports gigabit switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Iphie_C
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Can you clear up contradicting information about the JGS516PE switch. Is it managed or unmanaged

Hallo @ChrisWhatever ,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR switch JGS516PE.

This switch is a layer-2 managed switch, and is called a Plus switch. Plus switches used to be called "Smart Managed Plus switch" and have been changed to "Plus switch" recently.

The document updates might be delayed at channels. Nevertheless, you could find the up-to-date information on NETGEAR official website for our products and services. Please refer to the latest datasheet on our website. 

https://www.netgear.com/media/Gigabit_Ethernet_Smart_Managed_Plus_Switches_DS_tcm148-69702.pdf

Thanks,

Iphie

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Iphie_C
NETGEAR Expert

Hallo @ChrisWhatever ,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR switch JGS516PE.

This switch is a layer-2 managed switch, and is called a Plus switch. Plus switches used to be called "Smart Managed Plus switch" and have been changed to "Plus switch" recently.

The document updates might be delayed at channels. Nevertheless, you could find the up-to-date information on NETGEAR official website for our products and services. Please refer to the latest datasheet on our website. 

https://www.netgear.com/media/Gigabit_Ethernet_Smart_Managed_Plus_Switches_DS_tcm148-69702.pdf

Thanks,

Iphie

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements