× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can you "stack" these two Netgear Switches or "Trunk" them

cfrudolphy
Aspirant

Can you "stack" these two Netgear Switches or "Trunk" them

I own a JGS516PE and a GS724T V2.  I currently have a flat network 192.168.1.0/24.  My network has grown to the point (also includes ip cameras and many IOT devices) where I think I should segment the network with VLANS, both to reduce broadcast traffic but also for security reasons.  I intend on using 802.1q tagging.

1.) Are these two switches "stackable"?  i.e. both connected but act as one.

2.) My design would be that the default VLAN 1 be used as a "management." VLAN.  How should I configure VLAN 1 on both switches?    Physically I think I should connect port 24T (GS724T) to port 16 (JGS516PE) then Port 15 (JGS516PE) to the "LAN" port on my router, correct?  These ports should be "untagged" to pass all traffic correct?

3.) If not "stackable" as described above (which is what I assume) should I create identical vlans on both switches, i.e. VLAN 20 IOT devices on both switches as necessary?

4.) I have 8 POE ports on the JGS516PE.  6 will be dedicated to IP Cameras on VLAN30 by themselves.  The other 2 ports will be dedicated to WiFi Access Points which are VLAN aware.  Are there any "gotcha's" that I can anticipate.

Thanking you in advance for ANY and ALL comments and advice.

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

These are not stackable switches.

Also keep in mind the JGS516PE do like almost all other Plus switches not support a management VLAN.

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@cfrudolphy wrote:

3.) If not "stackable" as described above (which is what I assume) should I create identical vlans on both switches, i.e. VLAN 20 IOT devices on both switches as necessary?

Yes, of course. It's possible to connect multiple switches, and manage oe or more VLAN. Keep in mind the trunk can be done using all tagged ports, or tagged and one untagged network for management simplicity. Don't forget to configure the PVID on the ports you want untagged frames on to be assigned to the correct VLAN intended.   

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@cfrudolphy 

Is your Internet router VLAN-aware? If not, you need a device that can do inter-VLAN routing. JGS516PE is a simple L2 switch so it can’t do routing. GS724T is a routing switch so it can be configured for inter-VLAN routing. However, you still need a multi-subnet DHCP server. According to its datasheet, GS724T does not provide one so you would need to have that DHCP server somewhere else. This DHCP issue is even more complicated, because GS724T is one of those NETGEAR routing switches that do not provide a DHCP relay, either.

Message 4 of 5
cfrudolphy
Aspirant

Yes, my router is Vlan capable.  Currently a Netgate SG-1100 running pfSense plus.  However because the SG-1100 is not enough hardware for 1Gbps fiber wan and not enough to do inter-vlan routing with multiple vlans I intend  to virtualize on a Dell R710 running Proxmox that has a 4 port 1Gbps Broadcom NIC.

I am pretty sure I  have a plan to move forward  with.

Thanks for all the responses to this post.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements