× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Choppy VOIP on lines passing through Netgear Prosafe GS752TP

smullin
Aspirant

Choppy VOIP on lines passing through Netgear Prosafe GS752TP

It seems like I have tried virtually everything to solve Choppyness on my VOIP.  We have Cogent 100/100 and recently upgraded from a Sonicwall TZ215 to a TZ400.  I have tried every setting with Sonicwall.  I plugged a user from our Netgear switch directly into the Sonicwall and the problem stopped.  The choppyness is only on incoming traffic.  I was told by someone at Vonage Business Cloud that we shouild have an unmanaged switch instaed of  a managed switch. I have been told by others that the managed switch is basically unmanaged until you configure it.  Since the choppyness disappears when the user is plugged directly into the Sonicwall, it seems like the Netgear switch is the problem.  (Firmware 6.0.0.31) Any suggestions?  

Model: GS752TP|ProSAFE 48-port PoE Smart Switch with 8 PoE+-port
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
smullin
Aspirant

Re: Choppy VOIP on lines passing through Netgear Prosafe GS752TP

Thank you.  I restarted both the switch and Firewall and there was a vast improvement.  My individual phone was worse because the cord was coiled under my phone.  Once I moved it away from the phone, the choppiness stopped.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi smullin,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you were having issues with the VoIP if it is connected to the GS752TP. As per checking, Firmware 6.0.0.31 is not included in our downloads page. May I know if you are running on beta firmware? You are correct that when a managed switch also works as unmanaged until you configure it. You may just try to reset it to factory default for you to check if that will work. Just in case that it was configured before, then you may set a backup.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@JohnC_V wrote:

...e GS752TP. As per checking, Firmware 6.0.0.31 ...

...what does read like the GS752TPv2 factory initial firmware version -> https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS752TPv2#Firmware%20Version%206.0.0.31%20(Initial%20Release)

Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@schumaku,

Thanks for the correction 🙂 I overlooked on that part.

@smullin,

It might be better if you can just upgrade the firmware first to its latest version and let's see how it goes from there.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
smullin
Aspirant

Thank you.  I restarted both the switch and Firewall and there was a vast improvement.  My individual phone was worse because the cord was coiled under my phone.  Once I moved it away from the phone, the choppiness stopped.  

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Does not sound like a standards compliant network cable.

As well, check the exact model of your switch and update the firmware to a current version as suggested before.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements