× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configuring proxy

Louis1001
Aspirant

Configuring proxy

Hi, just got this switch and was trying to setup proxies on VLAN but couldn't seem to figure it out. So have some questions, how would I go about configuring the switch to run from proxies and is it possible to have each individual port running off of a differnt IP? Thanks!

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: Configuring proxy

All Smart Managed Plus switches are plain L2 devices.

The tiny embedded Smart Managed Plus controller does listen to all 80/TCP traffic over all VLAN to operate the Web UI (except e.g. the big XS724EM which does allow restricting the access to a defined VLAN). The controller does have only one IP address.

Needless to say, of course each device connected must have a different IP address. 

Not sure what kind of proxy ideas you have in mind...

Is the idea about using the switch in place of a NAT router for connecting mutiple devices to an Internet connection with just one public-side/Internet/WAN-side IP address available? Said that: You can't.

Message 2 of 7
Louis1001
Aspirant

Hi, I think I understand what you mean. I'll try explain more clearly as i'm not exactly experienced in this field. What i'm trying to setup is to have multiple devices connecting to the switch and then be able to have each port using a different proxy so each device connected will have a different public ip address via proxies. Is it possible? Thank you

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Two different things:

The switch does allow to connect multiple devices or computers to your LAN (e.g. behind an ISP router). This allows these devices to connect to the Internet.

Each computer can surf the Internet on it's own, you can configure whatever proxy or VPN clients* on the computers (*if the router, ISP, or a great wall is permitting) out there. 

This is workable in such a configuration of course.

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re-thinking your request again, do you expect to have multiple VLANs configured connecting to diferent VPN providers or locations? Then each of the computers or routers with "dial-up" VPN capabilities connecting up to these VPNs needs routing feature, probably serving as a NAT router to operate the individual VLANs, too.

Message 5 of 7
AlexGess
Aspirant

Thanks,schumaku! 🙂

Message 6 of 7
AlexGess
Aspirant

When I faced such problems, I always used Google. It is full of different instructions. You cannot always help people from the Forum, and sometimes even incorrectly suggest, and you will break everything yourself. Although, I see here people sensible sit. So, I recently decided to try switching from VPN to proxy servers. In my opinion, it is safer, and not so much Internet traffic is spent, so my friend said when he read an interesting article about proxy servers on this site https://www.proxies.com/about. Maybe I did not write on the topic, but my experience of using it tells me that there are switches on all devices.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements