× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect 2 Prosafe GS748TPS over 150m

LathamsNick
Tutor

Connect 2 Prosafe GS748TPS over 150m

Hi, 

I'm trying to determine the best way to connect 2 Prosafe GS748TPS over a distance of around 150m or so. 

I've determined over some of the posts here already that I need to get a couple of AGM731F adapters and connect over the SFP port, but I'm not sure on which kind of cabling to use? Does anyone have any recommendations? Would OM3 be ok? 

Also, when connecting the two switches, will they automatically connect or with it need to be configured to extend the network? Will POE also still work on the second switch?

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 1 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Connect 2 Prosafe GS748TPS over 150m

@LathamsNick,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Also, when connecting the two switches, will they automatically connect or with it need to be configured to extend the network?

They will automatically connect.  Kindly observe the behavior of the corresponding LED lights.

Will POE also still work on the second switch?

Yes. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @DaneA thanks for your comments, that's great. 

In regards to the two switches, one is a G748TPS and the other is a G752TPS, they have different firmwares, will this cause any issues? 

Do the SFP modules need to go in an any particular way so as there is a 'master' (the main switch) and 'slave' (the switch that's connecting to extend)? 

Many thanks, 

Nick

Message 3 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LathamsNick,

If you will be just connecting the GS748TPS and GS752TPS switches using the AGM731F SFP module over a distance around 150m, then it is possible.

Be informed that the GS748TPS and GS752TPS switches are NOT compatible to be stacked together (wherein one switch is the stack master and the other switch is a stack member).  It is because the GS748TPS and GS752TPS switches have different hardware platforms and different firmware versions.  

The GS748TPS is compatible to be stack with the GS724TPS.  You can either stack 6 GS748TPS  or stack 6 GS724TPS.  Also, you can stack a mix of GS748TPS and GS724TPS (for example: 3 GS748TPS and 3 GS724TPS).  As reference, kindly check the data sheet here

The GS752TPS is compatible to be stack with the GS728TS, GS728TPS and GS752TS switches.  You can only stack up to 6 switches.  For example: stack 6 GS752TPS or a mix of 2 GS728TS, 2 GS728TPS and 2 GS752TS switches.  As reference, kindly check the data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @DaneA thanks for the info there. 

So, if I just wanted to connect the two to allow the existing network to be extending, does that require stacking, or can I just connect them up with the AGM731F's on either end and use the fibre cable? 

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 5 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LathamsNick,

Let say we have 6 switches configured as a stack, since the 6 switches are configured as a stack, it would operate just like 1 switch.  To know more about stacking, kindly access the article below:

What is stacking, which smart switches support it, and what are the functionalities of stacking?

Again, if you will be just connecting the GS748TPS and GS752TPS switches using the AGM731F SFP module over a distance around 150m, then it is possible.  This is similar to just connecting the GS748TPS and GS752TPS switches using a CAT5e ethernet cable.  However, since the maximum distance of the CAT5e ethernet cable is only 100m and the distance between the GS748TPS and GS752TPS switches is around 150m, you will need to use the SFP ports of both switches and connecting them using the AGM731F SFP module.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @DaneA 

Fantastic, thank you ever so much for that, that's great! I'll connect them up and see how we go. 

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 7 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @DaneA

I've got both powered on, but they are both showing slave master and and ID of 1. If I wanted to just use plug and play will that be ok, or does one need to change?

Many thanks,

Nick 

Message 8 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LathamsNick,

By default, the GS748TPS is set to 'Stacking Mode.'  To change it to 'Standalone Mode,' kindly follow the steps below:

1.  On the web-GUI, go to System > Management > System Information.  Observe that Unit Mode is set to Stacking Mode.

2. Check the box that says 'Change Unit Mode To Standalone After Reset.'

3. Go to Maintenance > Reset > Factory Default.  Then, check the confirmation box and click Apply.

4. After the switch has factory reset, go to System > Management > System Information.  Then check that Unit Mode is set to Standalone Mode.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @DaneA 

Thanks for that, that's great. Will they both need to be standalone, or can just the one be and leave the other as is?

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 10 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LathamsNick,

Both should be set to standalone mode.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @DaneA

Great stuff, thank you. I'm assuming if I leave them as it they will cause a clash in stacking mode as they have the same ID and are set as master?

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 12 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @DaneA 

Thanks very much for all your assistance, we're all up and running and working like a dream! 

I did just have one more question (please forgive my naivety), for an OM3 cable extending a network over 150m how many cores would be best to maintain the network speed?

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 13 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Not sure what you ar behind. Every single OM3 fiber has a single core of 50 µm.
Message 14 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @schumaku 

Thanks for coming back to me. My apologies, I'm ordering some cable up now, and the company has asked how many cores I want, and noticed you can get OM3 cables with difference cores and want to make sure I order the correct one to allow. 

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 15 of 22
schumaku
Guru

This seems to be the number of fibers (and the related core of course) which can be in a cable. Each fiber is typically assembled with the fiber connector each. Still, for a single link and one direction there is one core, for two links eg in both directions there are two. If you want more connections (links, cores) available, there are comparable Thun cables available with many hundred fivers (corea) each.

Message 16 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @schumaku

So if I needed and LC-LC fiber cable for example, would that just always be 2 core due to the connector on the end?

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 17 of 22
schumaku
Guru

The more common designation for simple fiber patch cables (to carry the light in both directions) is simply a duplex cable as used on SFP small modules.

41728.main.jpg

Message 18 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @schumaku,

That's great, thanks for that, I've got a short one like that for testing, but wasn't sure if there was anything else spec wise I needed for a longer distance to maintain network speeds.

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 19 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @DaneA 

I had a quick follow up question, I'm not sure if you'd be able to advise. I tested the stacking using a direct connection between the 2 switches and it worked a treat. We've since have 180m of fibre cable run between the two buildings, with connected via a patch panel each end, and running a cable to each of the switches, but am not getting any signal at all coming through. 

I've checked the switches locally and they are both configured and showing the 2nd switch with no connection to it, is there something else that needs to be done when you introduce a patch panel into the mix? 

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 20 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LathamsNick,

Just to verify, are you using SFP/SFP+ cable connected to a patch panel?  Personally, I haven't yet tried using a patch panel with SFP/SFP+ cable/s connected to it.  What I usually practice is that switches are connected directly using SFP/SFP+ cable/s.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 22
LathamsNick
Tutor

Hi @DaneA,

We are indeed, so it was:

Fibre Cable to SFP port > Patch Panel > 180m Fibre Optic Link > Patch Panel > Fibre Cable to SFP port

As it turns out the connections has been put in the wrong way round, a quick switch round, and it's working like a charm. 

Thank you for you assistance, very much appreciated 👍

Regards,

Nick

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements