× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect Netgear M4300 Switch with Mikrotik Switch CRS328-24p-4s+rm

JohnT82
Aspirant

Connect Netgear M4300 Switch with Mikrotik Switch CRS328-24p-4s+rm

Hello all,

I need your guidance for a situation that i am facing. We have a Mikrotik switch on which we grand access to the internet. So far so good, the problem is that we bought a new netgear m4300 28g poe+ and we want to create VLANs on it (done it) and we need to have access to the internet, unfortunately we don't. I have create the VLAN, I gave the IP address and I have also configure the DHCP server and it works, but when I try to access the Internet it is not possible.

Now I have connect the two switches and the Mikrotik switch is lets say the master switch, because it has the internet and the access point. So, I have configure the Mikrotik as a DHCP server for the whole lab. So when I connect a device on the Netgear switch it takes DHCP from Mikrotik and it also has access to the internet. The problem is with the new VLAN I am trying to configure.

If you have any ideas please help.

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JohnT82 

You have a Mikrotik router and NETGEAR routing switch. You need to decide where you want to do inter-VLAN routing, i.e. on the router or on the switch.

If you want to do inter-VLAN routing on the router, you need to define those VLANs on both the router and the switch, disable routing on the switch and set up a trunk (tagged) link between the router and the switch. Your router SVIs will be the default gateways for all client devices. Such a topology is called ‘router on a stick’ and you can find numerous examples of it on Internet.

If you want to do inter-VLAN routing on the switch, you need to define those VLANs only on the switch, enable routing on the switch and put the router into one of the VLANs or create a separate VLAN for it. Some static routing would need to be set up on the router as well. Your switch SVIs will be the default gateways for all client devices and the router LAN interface will be the default gateway for the switch. This article (https://kb.netgear.com/30818/How-to-configure-routing-VLANs-on-a-NETGEAR-managed-switch-with-shared-...) shows an example of it.

Message 2 of 6
JohnT82
Aspirant

Good morning and thank you for your answer.

The situation is like this:

We have a Mikrotik Switch which is connected on its ether2 port to the corporate network which provides us the internet connection.

We have configure on the mikrotik some vlans just to isolate the ports.

So, we bought a new Netgear m4300 which is going to be our main switch. But for now is the secondary till we find a solution with Acc Points.

The netgear is a factory default switch and works find with the mikrotik switch. If someone connects on the netgear will have DHCP, DNS and of course Internet access through the Mikrotik switch. Now the problem is if you try to create a new vlan lets say vlan200, you can't access the internet. You lose connection. So =, the question is, what should I do to provide Internet access to every netgear vlan I want to create.

I tried the solutions you provided, and thank you for that, but with no luck.

If you know what else I can do please inform me. Thank you again!

John

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JohnT82 

So, you have a Mikrotik switch with some VLANs already set up there and everything works fine, right? Now you connect a NETGEAR switch with its factory default settings to one of the ports of the Mikrotik switch. I assume that port is just an access (untagged) port to one of the VLANs there. A switch with its factory default settings behaves like an unmanaged switch, therefore your whole NETGEAR switch becomes part of the VLAN the Mikrotik port belongs to. If you set up VLANs on the NETGEAR switch, you need to redefine the connection between the switches. You need to set up a trunk (tagged) link between the switches. The 'router on a stick' topology employs that concept.

In short, if you want that vlan200 access Internet, you need to make the two ports of the link between the switches tagged members of vlan200. 

Message 4 of 6
JohnT82
Aspirant

Hi again,

Still trying to fix it for this reason I haven't answer anything. quick question, should I configure as a DHCP server for vlan200 (on the netgear) the Netgear?

Now as I have mention DHCP for the other vlans is the Mikrtotik. The Netgear is brand new with no vlans yet.

What else should I do on the Mikrtotik?

Thanx again

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JohnT82 

As far as I know, there is no DHCP server on the M4300 28G POE+. That Mikrotik switch can provide IP addresses to devices connected to the vlan200 ports of the NETGEAR switch. Of course, the DHCP server needs to be activated for the vlan200 on the Mikrotik switch. If I'm right that there is no DHCP server on that NETGEAR switch, you will face a DHCP dilemma when you try to get rid of the Mikrotik switch.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements