× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting GS110MX and GS110EMX

tkenney65
Follower

Connecting GS110MX and GS110EMX

Admitted novice to networking switches in need of help....

I have a GS110MX that is my main switch in a small home network.  This main switch connects to a Pfsense router.  Port 10 (10GbE) on this switch is connected to my Synology NAS.  Port 9 (10GbE) is connected to my patch panel which then runs upstairs to my laptop.  File transfers to and from the NAS flow at very high speed and everything is good.

I recently bought a second switch (second switch is the managed version -  GS110EMX) in order to get 2 more 10GbE ports for future use by other t.b.d. devices on my network.

I am confused on how best to link/connect the 2 switiches (in order to maximize the number of available 10GbE connections).

Do I have to connect the switches using the 10GbE ports on each switch or can I connect the 2 switches with a cable using one of the other 1Gbe (ports 1-6 on each switch)

Message 1 of 2
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Connecting GS110MX and GS110EMX

@tkenney65,

Welcome to the community!

Ideally, you'd want to connect the switches using their 10Gbps ports to avoid network bottlenecks.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements