× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting Junper firewall to NetGear ProSafe XS716T switch

tantony
Luminary

Connecting Junper firewall to NetGear ProSafe XS716T switch

I have a Juniper SRX550 Firewall configured to handle network and DHCP.  I have the cable from Juniper going into port 1 on the NetGear switch.  Which VLAN does port 1 needs to be on the switch?

Port 0/2 on the juniper is for 172.16.64.0 network

Port 0/3 on the juniper is for 172.16.128.0 network.

The cable is going from 0/2 on juniper to 0/1 on the NetGear

Model: XS712T|ProSafe 12 ports smart switch with 10G fiber
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
tantony
Luminary

Re: Connecting Junper firewall to NetGear ProSafe XS716T switch

It turns out, it was Symantec causing the ping not to work.  My laptop have Symantec, and the other laptop doesn't.  I switched cables, and I'm not able to ping my laptop, but the other laptop I can.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @tantony,

The port 1 of the XS716T switch should be set as a tagged port and should be a member of all VLANs with a PVID of 1. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
tantony
Luminary

ok, that's how I have it.  Port 1 on the NetGear (172.16.64.2) is tagged "T" same as the trunk port 24.  Both are members of all VLANs.

I have an additional switch on the same network (172.16.64.3) as the first switch, so that's why I'm using a trunk.

I'll let you know if I have any other issues.  I'm new to networking, and only have basic knowledge.

Message 3 of 7
tantony
Luminary

I put all ports back to VLAN 1 on both switches. I have a cable going from one NetGear switch (172.16.64.2) to another NetGear switch (172.16.64.3) for trunking.

I have two laptops connected to the 172.16.64.2, and I'm getting the correct DHCP. The problem is, I can ping one laptop to another. But the other laptop cannot ping the other one eventhough they're connected to the same switch, and on the same network.

These are the IPs for the two laptops. 172.16.64.5, 172.16.64.6

Both laptops have network discovery turned on.

Message 4 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tantony,

It is possible that the ping is reaching the laptop but sending ping replies is not enabled to it .  Let me share the article below and it might help:

Configure the Windows firewall to allow pings

How to Enable Ping Response in Windows 7/8.1/Vista Firewall? How to Block Too

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
tantony
Luminary

It turns out, it was Symantec causing the ping not to work.  My laptop have Symantec, and the other laptop doesn't.  I switched cables, and I'm not able to ping my laptop, but the other laptop I can.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@tantony wrote:

It turns out, it was Symantec causing the ping not to work.  My laptop have Symantec, and the other laptop doesn't. 

Typical Internet Security garbage. Not much added value, poorly integrated with WIndows, and a common source of issues. The best button is the [Uninstall].

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements