× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting two GS724Tv3 switches together via fibre

DruidJon
Aspirant

Connecting two GS724Tv3 switches together via fibre

Hi everyone,

I've never been to this forum before so please bare with me!

Owing to distance (greater than 100m less than 175m) I would like to connect (cascade) 2 GS724Tv3 switches together via the SFP fibre channel(s). I've never attempted this before as such have very little experiance, I am not sure if this is even possible hence my call for help. If it is possible I'm interested to know:

1) Which SFP modules at each end would I need to accomplish such a task I believe there are several available? 

2) Which type of multimode (number of cores) fibre cable I would need?

3) The type of termination of the cable at each end (I can purchase pre-terminated multimode cable)

4) Is this the right solution for cascading these switches over this disrtance or have I got it completely wrong? (this would be the only switch cascade in operation there is very little existing infrastructure in place, it is a factory environment)

5) Are there any throughput or any other issues I should be aware of impacting on the network?

6) Any other advcie? apart from 'don't do it' Smiley Very Happy would be greatly received

I hope someone can help me or steer me in the right direction, thank you kindly in advance

Regards

Jon 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Connecting two GS724Tv3 switches together via fibre

Hi DruidJon,

As a follow-up, you may refer to the table below:

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DuidJon, 

Welcome to the community! 

We recommend using our SPF GBIC Modules (AGM731F and AGM732F).  For that distance (175 max) the "short-reach" module (AGM731F) should be fine since using a 62.5/125ìm OM1 multimode fiber cable can drive gigabit ethernet up to 275 m. For the termination, you'll probably need some expert advice for that since these are only sold as SFP modules only (unterminated). For question number 4, yes it should be since using regular ethernet will not be able to handle the distance. 

For more information, please click here

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DruidJon,

As a follow-up, you may refer to the table below:

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
DruidJon
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your kind assistance Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DruidJon,

You're very much welcome! 🙂 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements