× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device View GS724T-400EUS not working

RobFarnsworth
Aspirant

Device View GS724T-400EUS not working

Hi. I've just installed the above switch only to find that the Device View displays the following no matter which browser is used and after checking Java.

/* Non stacking*/

You need the Java Plugin. Get it from here

There seems to be some history around this area. Can anybody advise me if this is a F/W issue or if there is a work around for it before I send it back.

Also the Smart Control Centre does not discover devices either. The switch is currently working fine with 11 devices but I'm not prepared to accept this if it is an inherent problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I have no experience of Netgear.

F/W 6.3.1.11

Java 8 .77

Thanks

Rob

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
RobFarnsworth
Aspirant

Re: Device View GS724T-400EUS not working

Thanks for the suggestions. After wasting days on this problem the only solution is to use an early version of Java 7 with Internet Explorer ignoring all the security warnings. This of course is now a security issue to use on the Internet. Netgear should not be allowed to sell a product like this. I now have to dedicate a laptop purely for this function.
Do not buy this product unless you are happy to do the same.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RobFarnsworth,

Welcome to the community ! 🙂

Regarding the Device View, here are my suggestions below: 

A.  On Windows, fix the java security settings to allow local trust to specific applets: 

1. Go to Control Panel (It would be best to switch to Category View) then locate Java.

2. Open Java then edit the following security section.

3. Make sure Java is enabled in browser and if ever its not, add an exception for the switch IP address.

4. Make sure under Advanced, your browser is enabled for Java.

B. Try using other browsers like Chrome, Firefox and Safari.  Check if same problem occurs.

C. If ever the above steps still won't work, kindly uninstall Java 8 then install Java 7.  Check if the Device View displays just fine using Java 7.

About the Smart Control Center utility, here are my suggestions below to isolate the problem:

a.  If ever there any software firewalls or anti-virus installed on your PC/laptop, kindly disable or uninstall it.  

b.  Try using another PC/ laptop to isolate the problem.

c.  Make sure you are using the latest version of the Smart Control Center utility which is v1.1.3.2.  You may download it here

Hope it helps. 🙂

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
RobFarnsworth
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions. After wasting days on this problem the only solution is to use an early version of Java 7 with Internet Explorer ignoring all the security warnings. This of course is now a security issue to use on the Internet. Netgear should not be allowed to sell a product like this. I now have to dedicate a laptop purely for this function.
Do not buy this product unless you are happy to do the same.
Message 3 of 5
RobFarnsworth
Aspirant

Message 4 of 5
RobFarnsworth
Aspirant

The Smart Control Centre only discovers the switch and not any devices connected to it. This may be useful if you have numerous switches but apart from that it's a waste of time.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements