× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Documentation doesn't match behavior (Can't login)

Suisse
Aspirant

Documentation doesn't match behavior (Can't login)

So I end up with this switch (GS748TS) and I'm trying to login in the web portal.

Before doing so I tried to reset back to factory settings with the front panel reset button by holding it down for >30secs. (I read that somewhere on the forum, but in fact I think pressing it "1" sec is enough).

It isn't connected to any network except a laptop with an ethernet cable (so no DHCP).

I set the laptop to be a static 192.168.0.100 with the subnet 255.255.255.0.

The documentation state that the switch ip will be 192.168.0.239, but I end up finding it is actually 192.168.0.48 with the help of the Smartwizard Utility.

I can reach the web portal from the 192.168.0.48 ip, but then when I enter the password "password" (or any other listed here) I got an error telling me either this is the wrong password or I attempted to many login.

So at this point I don't know what to do since until now the documentation has been useless.

Point to probably keep in mind I think I have the v2 firmware (this is the value in the "protocol" column in the Smartwizard)

Thanks

Model: GS748TS|ProSafe Gigabit Stackable Smart switch|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Documentation doesn't match behavior (Can't login)

How do I reset a smart switch to factory default settings?

GS700TS (724TS, 748TS) Series Hardware Installation Guide, p 3.24, Factory Default Button

Note: The Factory Defaults (where available) is not the same like the Reset switch (which does just reboot this switch model). The Factory Default button is located on the right front side, near to the SFP ports. 

Assuming the switch is healty, the System LED and the Fan LED are green, there is nothing that should stop you from doing the factory reset.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

How do I reset a smart switch to factory default settings?

GS700TS (724TS, 748TS) Series Hardware Installation Guide, p 3.24, Factory Default Button

Note: The Factory Defaults (where available) is not the same like the Reset switch (which does just reboot this switch model). The Factory Default button is located on the right front side, near to the SFP ports. 

Assuming the switch is healty, the System LED and the Fan LED are green, there is nothing that should stop you from doing the factory reset.

Message 2 of 4
Suisse
Aspirant

Ho, hooooo...
I did read this page but because I didn't see a "reboot" or 'restart" topic (or graph of the panel) I did assume it was the reset factory button.
You are right, I did use the wrong button. (Also the sfc ports and the factory reset are not easy to reach so I didn't bother looking there).

The p3-19 did mention the reset and default factory button...

Thanks
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Ha, don't worry - I would have walked the same trap, too. Most SFP modules cover this area very well. Newer Netgear Smart Managed Plus and Smart Managed Pro come with a single reset button.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements