× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Exchange multicast packets between two managed switches

varo26278
Aspirant

Exchange multicast packets between two managed switches

Firstly, the model that I set above is not the one that I'm ussing. It doesn't allow to type GS108Tv3. This is the model that I'm using.

I have two GS108Tv3 switches. According to technical specifications it allows to static routing. What I want to do is to exchange multicast traffic from one switch to the other bearing in mind that in the first switch, the equipments connected have this network address (192.168.4.X) and in the second swith, the equipments connected hae this network address (192.168.14.X).

I have been trying to get connected during a whole day unsuccesfully. Can anyone help me to know if it is possible to get it running with these switches? If so, can anyone give me any hint?

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Exchange multicast packets between two managed switches

Nothing you can do ref. Multicast routing on these tiny switches. You need some external router (or some Linux system) assistance where you can config some Multicast routing done. 

Message 2 of 4
varo26278
Aspirant

For instance, if I use the netgear model R6120 router, is it enough?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@varo26278 wrote:

For instance, if I use the netgear model R6120 router, is it enough?

Negative. To my knowledge, these routers only support one LAN subnet, and (like virtually all Netgear consumer routers) there is no Multicast routing and forwarding capability.

Unfortunately, not even the Netgear BR200/500 do. The feature was just recently added to some Orbi Pro AX when I have it right.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements