× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FS728TPv2 - EAP-TLS compatibility?

Nycorawr
Follower

FS728TPv2 - EAP-TLS compatibility?

Hey everyone, hoping someone can help out here.

We are trying to conver this client from WPA to WPA2 Enterprise with EAP-TLS.  Certs (CA/User) are deployed via Intune, as is the Wireless config.  All of that is working fine.  They are using user-based certs for RADIUS auth.

We are running into an issue with the clients where their RADIUS/NPS requests are not hitting the NPS server.  The client has a varitety of errors:

Wireless 802.1x authentication was restarted.

Eap Information: Type 13, Vendor ID 0, Vendor Type 0, Author ID 0
Restart Reason: Msm Initiated

Eap Information: Type 13, Vendor ID 0, Vendor Type 0, Author ID 0
Restart Reason: Onex Auth Timeout

The NPS server, however, never receives these requests.  They appear to get dropped by the wireless switch.  This is a very simple network:

Client -> AP -> Wireless Switch (FS728TPv2) -> Data Switch (GS748Tv5) -> NPS Server

I want to put blame on the FS728TPv2 here as it is very, very old, and I can't find any documentation regarding EAP-TLS support (Plus it is 100mbps which I want to get rid of also).

So two questions here:

1) Am I correct in assuming the FS728TPv2 does not support EAP-TLS?

2) Am I correct in assuming the GS748Tv5 DOES support EAP-TLS?

3) In looking to replace the FS728TPv2, we are looking for something between 16-28 ports, (11 total APs, but may want room to expand later), do you have any recommendations that you can guarantee DO support EAP-TLS?

Thank you!!

Model: FS728TPv2|28-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet PoE Smart Managed Pro Switch with 24 PoE Ports
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FS728TPv2 - EAP-TLS compatibility?

@Nycorawr,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The FS728TPv2 does not support EAP-TLS.  As reference, kindly check its data sheet here

The GS748Tv5 supports TLS v1.0 but not EAP.  As reference, kindly check its data sheet here

You may want to check the M4300 Series Switches of NETGEAR supports both EAP and TLS v2.  As reference, kindly check it data sheet here

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements