× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GC110 Switch - L2TP/IPSec VPN to NAS

steven42
Aspirant

GC110 Switch - L2TP/IPSec VPN to NAS

I have a Synology NAS which I've been able to access remotely via VPN L2TP/IPSec, I was on an unmanaged switch before but upgraded to the GC110 so I can do link aggregation to improve my bandwidth to my NAS for my at home small business.

I was able to successfully configure the link aggregation without changing any of my network settings, so it should have been a pure swap of hardware (unmanaged swich to managed switch) but I was unable to establish a VPN connection with the new managed switch.

I'm not a networking expert so my knowlege in this area is limited. But it seems like there is a security layer that is preventing me from accessing the NAS. Is there a firewall on my switch that I need to open up some ports? Is there some other security setting that I should look at to allow a VPN connection?

Any advice will be really appreciated, thank you!

Model: GC110|8-Port Gigabit Ethernet App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: GC110 Switch - L2TP/IPSec VPN to NAS

@steven42 wrote:

I was able to successfully configure the link aggregation without changing any of my network settings, so it should have been a pure swap of hardware (unmanaged swich to managed switch) but I was unable to establish a VPN connection with the new managed switch.

Something sounds wrong here. You have to change the config on both the NAS and the switch e.g. to a LACP LAG config. Doing so might change the interface config on the Syno VPN config - so some adjustment might be required.

Message 2 of 4
steven42
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

@steven42 wrote:

Something sounds wrong here. You have to change the config on both the NAS and the switch e.g. to a LACP LAG config. Doing so might change the interface config on the Syno VPN config - so some adjustment might be required.

I did configure the LAG settings on the switch and the link aggregation setting on the Synology NAS, I double checked that and I'm certain I have those setting correct, I was able to access the NAS locally, and I did have increased bandwith to my NAS. Its only when trying to establish a VPN connection did it stall out. When I tried to connect via VPN from my windows laptop, it said something like there was a security layer that prevented the connection, which is why I'm wondering if, like my router, I have to open up ports etc. I'm sorry, I don't know if this switch acts like a router and have to configure firewall settings like a router

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

No, the switch is by default fully L2 transparent. Review the VPN config on the NAS - it must use a different interface (the LAG one!) instead of a single physical ETH.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements