× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GC728XP Cannot Get DHCP or VLANs to Work

darrencole
Aspirant

GC728XP Cannot Get DHCP or VLANs to Work

Hi all,

I have two of these GC728XP switches (Firmware 1.0.5.35) that were just being used as basic switches for VOIP phones without any configuration!

My setup is Comcast Xfinity modem then IP out on 10.0.0.1 to Netgear GC728XP switch on port g24. I set the switch to Static IP 10.0.0.2 with Default Gateway 10.0.0.1. I can plug a laptop into any port, and get a DHCP 10.0.0.x address and out to the web.

I needed to add a VLAN manually (without Insight) for a PC and a VOIP phone which I did following the user manual.

VLAN: I have ports g13 & g14 set as VLAN106 (for room 106) with g13 & g14 removed from VLAN1 (management) and added (Untagged) to VLAN106. Ports g13 & g14 were given PVID of 106. A laptop connected to g13 or g14 gets no IP address and if I manually set the laptop IP address to the same 10.0.0.x subnet it cannot ping anything or reach the web.

I tried to set a VLAN routing address but no matter what I pick I get an alert: "IP Address/Netmask entered conflicts with the configured IP Address/Netmask of the service port or a router interface".

I've spent 2 days trying all sorts of settings and reading the forums but I'm totally stuck so please any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Daz.  

Message 1 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GC728XP Cannot Get DHCP or VLANs to Work

@darrencole,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

The IP address of the GC728XP must be on subnet that is different from the subnet of the VLANs.  It is because if you assign a VLAN Interface IP Address that is on the same subnet as with the IP Address of the switch, it will result to an error that says: "IP Address/Netmask entered conflicts with the configured IP Address/Netmask of the service port or a router interface".

With regard to Inter-VLAN Routing, let me share the articles below and these might help as reference guides:

VLAN Routing on Smart Switches

VLAN Routing on a NETGEAR Smart Switch

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
darrencole
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA for the response. I am still getting nowhere!

So attached is the diagram. Prior to trying VLANs computer A, B, C all got issued IP addresses and work to each other and had access to the web with no configuration.

I do not want ANY inter VLAN connectivity, I just want computer A & B to be on a VLAN for privacy and have access to the web which they do not. In fact B can ping A, but A cannot ping B. A works fine (no VLAN).

I have setup the VLAN as per knowledge base articles. VLAN 106 is on a completely different subnet as per your advice - what am I missing? Is it a route I need?

Many thanks in advance.

Daz

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@darrencole,

From the network diagram you have attached, it seems that your modem is a modem-router combo.  About your goal to have the devices connected to VLAN 106 to have internet access, VLAN 106 needs to have its own DHCP server.  Is your modem-router VLAN capable wherein it has the option to create another DHCP server for VLANs?  

As reference guide, kindly check this old article below that shows how VLANs are configured on both firewall router and a NETGEAR Smart Switch (like the GC728XP) that are directly connected to each other:

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
darrencole
Aspirant

Thank you again DaneA! I setup a network identical to the one in your 'VLAN Routing on Smart Switches' guide.

It's a crappy modem-combo that has a DHCP server but that isn't an issue - static IP addresses are fine. One of the steps in the guide is to create a default route on the switch to 192.168.1.1. After doing this I get the alert "The route will not take effect until a routing interface belonging to the same subnet as the next hop is created and activated". Problem is there is no router to do that.

I have added a SonicWall TZ300 Firewall between the switch and the internet which does DHCP and can have static routes so I should be able to set the static route there?

Daz

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements