× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS1008PE losing connectivity - Downlink Devices stay online

CFORNEY53
Aspirant

GS1008PE losing connectivity - Downlink Devices stay online

Stumped here... 

I am using a GS108PE - 8 port POE switch to get a secondary location online at our business. The switch is recieving Data through an older fiber converter box (a Fujikura FNT3012-13). The switch, when on the network has intermittent connection. Ping times will be 1ms for about 10 pings then it will drop for a small period of time then will come back on. When it drops I am unable to access the GUI and it is not findable using the netgear smart control utility. HOWEVER, downlink devices remian online and are able to get to the internet without issue. see photo below. 

IMG_5255.jpg

I have changed uplink ports and patch cables. I have replaced the switch with another brand new GS108PE. and the issue remains. If I plug stgraight into the fiber converter my laptop can be pinged without intermittancy. 

The Fujikura FNT3012-13 is a 100mb fiber converter. Initial thought was maybe it was having an issue auto negotiating speeds. however I have set the uplink port on the switch to 100mb full and that seemed to make it worse. 

Any thoughts here? 

Model: GS108PE|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS1008PE losing connectivity - Downlink Devices stay online

@CFORNEY53,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you already isolated the problem using another switch and still having the same problem. May I know if the switch is running on the latest firmware? If not, please update the firmware to its latest version. You may download it here.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
CFORNEY53
Aspirant

It is on the newest 1.00.12 firmware. I figure it is an issue between the fiber converter and the switch, Do you know a way to isolate the issue even further so we may can resolve this without replacing the fiber converter? like I said I can plug my laptop into the fiber converter and have no issues. 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@CFORNEY53 wrote:

The switch is recieving Data through an older fiber converter box (a Fujikura FNT3012-13). The switch, when on the network has intermittent connection. Ping times will be 1ms for about 10 pings then it will drop for a small period of time then will come back on. When it drops I am unable to access the GUI and it is not findable using the netgear smart control utility. HOWEVER, downlink devices remian online and are able to get to the internet without issue. 

As the switch and the connected devices work flawless (e.g. for the Internet onnection) the issue seems to be isolated to the management Microcontroller on the GS108PE. There are some conditions the controller (listening to all trafic on the switch) where the Microcontroller cna be overloaded. Hard to say what is happening there - heavy broadcast, heavy Multicast, or probably even a loop? 

The fact that fixing the link to the fiber adapter to Fast Ethernet (and Full Duplex) and this seems to make the problem even bigger is more than obscure. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements