× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS105E unexpectedly responds to ping

mesistostefre
Aspirant

GS105E unexpectedly responds to ping

Hi ...

My old "ProSafe GS105E Unmanaged Plus" recently started to respond to ping requests ... in addition to the device I intended to ping.

No surprise: DUP is reported.

Like:

64 bytes from 192.168.10.77: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=4.706 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.10.46: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=3.753 ms (DUP!)

77 is the switch. There is a WIFI mesh repeater plugged into the switch and connecting the device wirelessly.

There is one and only one DHCP server. No static IPs, no IP has been assigned twice ... switch power off/on, device power off/on: no change

Anyone seen that before and can provide some advice? Running out of ideas... 😕

Message 1 of 5
AnishaA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @mesistostefre,

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂

Try once with a factory reset and if required try upgrading the firmware version.

Try assigning a static IP and check for it.

Have a lovely day, 
Anisha A
Netgear Team 

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@mesistostefre wrote:

My old "ProSafe GS105E Unmanaged Plus" recently started to respond to ping requests ... in addition to the device I intended to ping.

No surprise: DUP is reported.

Like:

64 bytes from 192.168.10.77: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=4.706 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.10.46: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=3.753 ms (DUP!)

77 is the switch. There is a WIFI mesh repeater plugged into the switch and connecting the device wirelessly.

Uneducated guess? Not the first wireless repeater causing ugly things like duplicated and faux ICMP pings on the network.

Give it a try on a cabled ethernet connection and compare.

Make, model, and firmware version of this fancy wifi mesh repeater please.

For completeness, do we face of a classic GS105E(v1), operating on Firmware Version 1.02.04?

Message 3 of 5
mesistostefre
Aspirant

> Uneducated guess? Not the first wireless repeater causing ugly things like duplicated and faux ICMP pings on the network.

interesting ...

> Give it a try on a cabled ethernet connection and compare.

done, same results, but ... see below... 

> Make, model, and firmware version of this fancy wifi mesh repeater please.

AVM, Fritz!Repeater 2400, firmware 7.50 (latest version available today). I have two of those.

> For completeness, do we face of a classic GS105E(v1), operating on Firmware Version 1.02.04?

That's precisely what the ProSAFE Plus tool reports. Well, it does not say "v1", just GS105E, but I guess that's it. 

As a test, I temporarily plugged the repeater into an XS708T directly. Now, I do not get any dup responses. Should have tried that earlier. 😕

With this, and not really understanding what's going on, I'll replace the 105E with some small managed switch.

Thanks for your effort, I really appreciate!

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@mesistostefre wrote:

AVM, Fritz!Repeater 2400, firmware 7.50 (latest version available today). I have two of those.

it's difficult to guess from outside what these consumer Mesh devices are making use of to avoid any kind of issues like multiple paths, network loops (lack of an stp or rstp (and not talking of mstp) implementation. Fighting windmills I'd say - and very likely unrelated to the GS105E. The consumer network manufacturers need to learn and document. I would prefer you are going to challenge AVM about this - while I know the XS708T has everything on board you need for a business class L2 network. Still, it's unknown what is configured there.

@mesistostefre wrote:

> For completeness, do we face of a classic GS105E(v1), operating on Firmware Version 1.02.04?

That's precisely what the ProSAFE Plus tool reports. Well, it does not say "v1", just GS105E, but I guess that's it. 

Yes, the v1 hardware version is not shown.

@mesistostefre wrote:

As a test, I temporarily plugged the repeater into an XS708T directly. Now, I do not get any dup responses. Should have tried that earlier. 😕

With this, and not really understanding what's going on, I'll replace the 105E with some small managed switch.

Where was the repeater - technically a Mesh device connecting multiple networks - connected before? 

It's difficult to guess from outside what these consumer Mesh devices are making use of to avoid any kind of issues like multiple paths, network loops (lack of an stp or rstp (and not talking of mstp) implementation. And knowing the consumer product designers avoid reliable and standard compliant solutions.... 

Fighting windmills I'd say, trial and error - and very likely unrelated to the GS105E. The consumer network manufacturers need to learn and document things much better.

I would prefer you are going to challenge AVM about this - while I know the XS708T has everything on board you need for a business class L2 network.

Still, it's unknown what is configured on the XS708T, how things are connected to the rest of the network.

@mesistostefre wrote:

I'm not convinced you do yourself a favor looking for a "small managed switch" here - whatever product you have in mind now. already a switch with a simple loop prevention (sending out some frames to all network ports and decide based on what is coming back) could already lead to even more random results.

Most consumer mesh look great on paper. The reality is often following quick if more complex configurations than what the vendor has in mind are enabled.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements