× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105Ev2 Cable Test Specifics not in manual

JanJ
Guide

GS105Ev2 Cable Test Specifics not in manual

Hello... Awaiting delivery of GS105Ev2...   Already have downloaded all dicuments and firmware for this device so when it gets here it will be current....

When I purchase a Product I usually read the entire manual prior to receiving the product. 

In this case....    I purchased this primairly for the Cable test Utility that it has.....   All my cables here are CAT6.... 

However....Regarding the Cable Test Utility....  In all manuals that you have for this, other than a brief overview, there is no in depth information about the cable test....

In specifics, nowhere can I find information in mnauals if the test is done terminated to something or un-terminated.... You'd think that would be important information to include in the manual....

Also, nowhere can I find information in manauls what the possible results could be, or, the description of what each of the results would mean.....    You'd think that would be important reference material to include in the manual...

I've seen a couple of similar posts here on this, and other than a nice 'welcome message', and suggestioin that they contact support.... Nothing!!!  

Is there really no documetatioin on this Cable Test Utility???

Could a more in depth instruction and results document or ?????  Please be added to this post?

Thank You

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
JanJ
Guide

Re: GS105Ev2 Cable Test Specifics not in manual

It's been a couple months since I last posted......

I've been watching things... and can happily report that the cables indicated as bad by the Netgear swtich... and the replacement cables that tested good by the Netgear switch......  have been a resounding success!!!

No Hardware or Software GB indicators have toggled to 100Mb....   Speed of copying between GB devices now consistantly at 130Mb/sec instead of 85Mb/sec...

I couldn't be happier.... That Test is worth the price of the Switch!!!

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 20

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hello Jan,

No idea what kind of potentially high-flying expectations you have on the cable test feature. 

Possible results can be for example:

Crosstalk: There is an interpair short on the cable.
ERROR: The test failed.
No Cable: The cable does not exist or the cable length is too small to test accurately.
OK: The cable is working correctly.
Open Cable: The cable is disconnected or there is a faulty connection.
Short: There is an electrical short in the cable.

Open short: Both disconnect and electrical short are detected in the cable. Cable fault distance is showed in meter.

Be aware results (especially the fault distance) can vary based on different cable classes and cabling qualities in the field.

It's an ad-hoc installation and troubleshooting (eg. after patching moves and changes) tool for an operational environment. Said that, except on the error or open cable, it's with a network device connected at the other end.

At no point it is intended to replace a commercial grade cable verification tester for say 50...10 USD, a cable qualification tester for 250...1000 USD, or a cable certification tester.

Regards,

-Kurt

Smart Managed Plus Cable Test.PNG

Message 2 of 20
JanJ
Guide

The only High Flying Results I'm looking for is whatever it is supposed to do.... and there is Insufficient documentation in the manual to describe what it is intended to do!!!    But thanks for what you posted... That is a start (That would have been nice to find in the manual!)

Message 3 of 20
JanJ
Guide

I have a cheapie Pinout tester for pinouts, flips, opens, shorts, etc.  I just wanted something better... I cannot afford a $800-1200 tester.

Someone else suggested this, and since I have no background with a managed swtich, I'm hopefully killing two birds with one stone.

Other than cheapie Pinout tester, My other test procedure is a spare output of Arris Modem, to cable under test, to Netgear GS108 switch, and time the lockup of LED's... With that  (and Arris Diagnostics which reports lockup status) I've found some bad PRE-MADE CAT6 cables from a recent upgrade:  Passes Pin-out tester, but only locks up at 100Mb/s..   I'd like to know more about these bad cables.... That's the reason for needing all possible info on the Cable Test Utility...

Would you think that for a cable test procedure this should be the proper way to wire it, then?:  

GS105Ev2 port 1 to computer to access Switch and test Utiliity

Port 2 to cable under test, to Netgear GS108 (to provide an Identical Termination for all cable tests)....

I knew the Netgear Cable Test Would not equate to a $800-1200 Tester, but hopefully it, in additon to my other 2 tests, give me a better idea of what I'm finding...   When I didn't find any in depth data in manuals...... I posted here.... Thanks

Message 4 of 20
schumaku
Guru

For home/SOHO and most SMB the inexpensive pinout tester combined with the switch cable test feature can be sufficient. Both won't make an all-in-one solution on it's own.

Possible limitations can be on short cables where the physical cable pairs as crimped wrong on both ends - this can be hard to detect without a more expensive tester.

The switch can be anywhere on the network, e.g. with a link from your main/core switch or router using the test cable to the switch woth the cable test feature.

Message 5 of 20
JanJ
Guide

Those were Pre-Made Cables!   

Here I thought that my purchasing Pre-Made CAT6 cables would 'take me' out of the equation!!!   

I am OK with Punch Downs, but kinda suck at ending Etherenet connections...

Message 6 of 20
schumaku
Guru

Welcome to the year 2021 ... we get what we pay for. And even slightly more expensive patch cables can show failures. But these should not have wrong pairing inside. Look, these RJ connectors have absolutley -no- real mechanical lock on the contact blades, it's just press and pray. 

Message 7 of 20
JanJ
Guide

Received the GS105Ev2 yesterday.... Upgraded it to latest firmware, and installed... As mentioned before, I'm using it Primarily as a CAT6 cable test unit...   Everything purchased for the home was CAT6 Rated, and I did all installs here... So I only have myself to blame for any Mis-wirings....

With the latest V1.6.06 update installed, I started in testing the spare cables I had.. Then I went through the bag of CAT5 & CAT5E cables I've accumulated, that were to be "Give Away's" to anyone needing a cable....  Most were good:  OK, but I found a few (4) that failed with: "Impedance Mis-Match"...   Went through all my spares and House cables...  At times through a CAT6 rated patch Panel...

Prior to purchasing the managed switch, I used a cheapie LED Pinout tester, and followed that with Arris Modem output to Netgear GS108 to time the Lock-up of 1000 LED on Switch (And Arris Diagnostics to confrim 1000 connection), and with that, found some bad cables, that would only lock up at 100Mb with a GB feed...

What I am finding using this new Netgear "Cable Test Tool" is: Many Ebay cables report with "Impedance Mis-Match".....

I did find a heavy document from AMP regarding that and other symptoms, but it's kinda thick, and I'm slowely working through it....

So I'm improving the CAT6 system here, removing cables that don't test correctly....

I've a cable shipment from Monoprice that I hope will allow me to remove remaining cables (or Move them to 100Mb Security Camera's where the issues will not be noticed)! :)!

If anyone can point to further documentation on the Results that can be determined from the Cable Test, It would be much appeciated.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's NOT a Freight Train coming this way!!!
:)!

Thank You

Message 8 of 20

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Smart / Plus / Click Switches - NETGEAR Communities

Message 9 of 20
JanJ
Guide

Sorry for late reply.... Link I saved to this thread when loaded reported 'Authentication Failed' and it took a while to ignore that and refresh until it worked...  ??

Thanks for that input... I swear I posted it in switches... Oh Well....

Overall I'm happy with my purchase just for Cable Test.... I'm a bit taken aback about no documentation provided in any download-ablle manual about the cable test Utility... Except how to login and select port..... (Which by then I knew how to!)

In my search for documetation, I realize now that CAT6 cable specs are tighter...  and the need to test cables prior to installing them is important..... I'm certain my education on this subject will continue.....

One last question... How often should I check for Firmware updates on the GS105Ev2 ?

Thanks...

Message 10 of 20

@JanJ wrote:

Sorry for late reply.... Link I saved to this thread when loaded reported 'Authentication Failed' and it took a while to ignore that and refresh until it worked...  ??

Thanks for that input... I swear I posted it in switches... Oh Well....

Stuff happens, especially when Netgear designed the layout. I didn't want you looking for detailed answers in the wrong place.

@JanJ wrote:

One last question... How often should I check for Firmware updates on the GS105Ev2 ?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

The most recently dated firmware/software there goes back to 2019. Don't expect to see changes that often.

Message 11 of 20
JanJ
Guide

Thanks for that informatioin.... It is the First Netgear device owned that had firmware update....

Message 12 of 20

Most Netgear switches are "dumb", with no need for firmware. But just about every router and modem get regular firmwaee updates.

Message 13 of 20
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Most Netgear switches are "dumb", with no need for firmware.

Come one Michael, this does not make much sense .... don't know if the Smart Managed Plus switches have loadable switch core code or if all are "dumb" as you state, certainly on the functionality and the controls there had been changes - that's why there were ~ 10 firmware releases since October 2013. for the GS105Ev2. 

Message 14 of 20

@schumaku wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Most Netgear switches are "dumb", with no need for firmware.

Come one Michael, this does not make much sense ....

Sorry, but most Netgear switches – the ones aimed at the domestic market covered by this bit of the community – really are "dumb".

Why do you think that Netgear has a range of unmanaged switches for the consumer market?

Shop Unmanaged Switches

not to mention a whole section of this community given over to them.

Plug-And-Play No-Configuration Access Switches Forum

I have used these things for some time. Simple plug and play stuff. Never seen a hint of any firmware.

I expect people with business needs to hang out in the relevant bits of this community, hence my "redirection" advice.

Perhaps you could explain to @JanJ what the heck you are trying to prove beyond your superior technical credentials.

Message 15 of 20
schumaku
Guru

Any replies starting from the to divert to non-managed dumb switches could be removed by a moderator as unrelated to the OP subject and hardware so completely off-topic. And it would be nice if a moderator would pick up the burden and move the essential parts to the Smart Plus And Smart Pro Managed Switches Forum pleeeeease.

Message 16 of 20
JanJ
Guide

Finally got to Garage to replace the suspect cables....

Prior to replacement, disconnect and reconnect of E2000 WIFI GB Device, took 2 seconds to lockup at 1000, and would occasionally lockup at 100...

After Replacement... INSTANT LOCKUP at 1000! 

Tested removed cables... MISMATCH..

The Local Cable Company has not informed me of the results of 2 Suspect cables I dropped off a couple weeks ago, but they were from the SAME EXACT PURCHASE as the cables removed and tested MISMATCH today.....

I am very happy with my Purchase!!   

Message 17 of 20
schumaku
Guru

This would make a nice little sucess story and a KB entry for Netgear!

PS. This is one of the reasons we deploy at least Smart Managed Plus switches in our customers network installations!

Message 18 of 20
JanJ
Guide

These are the following symptoms that a bad ethernet cable can create:

Do Any of these Sound Familiar????

"Why do some GB devices only show up as 100Mb Devices at Switch?"
"Why does LAN & WAN of Router occasionally connect at 100mb to GB devices?"
"Why does File Copies from one NAS be limited at 90Mb/sec?, and other NAS copies at 130Mb/sec, with identical speed connections and drives?"
"I just received a 100/10 Upgrade from my ISP --- Sometimes I do speed tests and get 110/12, and others get 90/12.... When I get 110/12 Router to Modem reports 1000 connection, and when I get 90/12 Router to Modem reports 100Mb connection. WHY?"

NONE of those issues have occurred since replacing suspect ethernet cables with fully tested cables.... in the house and garage!!!

Learn from My Mistakes!

Now..... Think of the Positive Customer Service you could generate if.... In the Manual.... You had explained that the Cable Test should be done -- Terminated to a GB Device (Say a Netgear GS 108 or such!) and also, include:  ALL the Responses that could be resolved from the Cable Test Utility, AND a Description of what that Result means, for the Novice!!!

....... Other than just login and password information and how to get to the test... Before posting here, I searched the forums about this, and others asked similar questions, and were directed to Customer Support.... PUT IT IN THE MANUAL!!!

Great Product!!   Poor Documentation....   Please Update Documentation for others, Netgear!!!

I'm guessing there is more operational information in this one thread than any prior thread, or manual, on this subject....And I'm the "New Guy" here!

Message 19 of 20
JanJ
Guide

It's been a couple months since I last posted......

I've been watching things... and can happily report that the cables indicated as bad by the Netgear swtich... and the replacement cables that tested good by the Netgear switch......  have been a resounding success!!!

No Hardware or Software GB indicators have toggled to 100Mb....   Speed of copying between GB devices now consistantly at 130Mb/sec instead of 85Mb/sec...

I couldn't be happier.... That Test is worth the price of the Switch!!!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements