× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS108E-300NAS configuration to prioritize VoIP connection

restrepo
Aspirant

GS108E-300NAS configuration to prioritize VoIP connection

Hello geeks...

I recently purchased a GS108E-300NAS for my new home-office network upgrade.  I am experiencing some choppy audio on my Polycom Soindpoint IP550 (VoIP phone) which is connected to Port 7. Firewall is in Port 8.

What internal configuration and/or ports do you suggest I should use to improve choppy VoIP connections?

Thanks for the tips.

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@restrepo,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Is there a VLAN dedicated for the Polycom Soindpoint IP550?  If yes, make sure that port 7 is set as tagged with a PVID of 1. 

What is the current firmware version of your GS108Ev3 switch?

How is everything connected?  It would be best if you would post a detailed diagram of your existing network so that other community members could post their suggestions and recommendations. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
restrepo
Aspirant

Hello @DaneA,

Here are the answers...

"Is there a VLAN dedicated for the Polycom Soindpoint IP550? If yes, make sure that port 7 is set as tagged with a PVID of 1."

There is no dedicated VLAN.  Should I be using a VLAN?  By the way, this is only one (Qty=1) VoIP phone connected to Nextiva.

The only thing I have done is to define QoS Mode as Port based, and Port 7 as High Priority.

"What is the current firmware version of your GS108Ev3 switch?"

Firmware is current...  V2.06.14EN

"How is everything connected? It would be best if you would post a detailed diagram of your existing network so that other community members could post their suggestions and recommendations."

I have attached a jpg file with the complete configuration.  This is a very simple network.

Thanks in advance for the tips and recommendations.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@restrepo,

Thank you for your response.  Since there is already QoS configured on port 7, I suggest you to set up port mirroring on the GS108Ev3 switch.  Select port 7 as the source port on the GS108Ev3 switch.  Then, select another port as a destination port on the GS108Ev3 switch where a PC (with Wireshark installed in it) is directly connected. Run Wireshark and observe.  It would be best that Wireshark would be able to capture the packets in the event you are experiencing choppy audio on your Polycom Soundpoint IP550 that's connected to port 7. 

Kindly read pages 66-67 of the GS108Ev3 user manual here on how to set up port mirroring.  You may download Wireshark on this link.  As reference, you may check this link I found online on how to use Wireshark.  

For the captured packets to be analyzed, kindly open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support regarding your concern. Attach the captured packets from Wireshark on the support ticket you have opened for it to be analyzed by the NETGEAR Support team.

Regards,  

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements