× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Ev3 Firmware Upgrade Issues

ThomasAV
Aspirant

GS108Ev3 Firmware Upgrade Issues

This is still a problem. I bought the GS108E (v3) last week. I couldn't configure the switch using 192.168.0.239 (my PC has a static IP of 192.168.0.200). I tried updating the firmware from 2.00.03 to 2.00.05 using the ProSafe Plus Utility (installed on Windows 8.1). The problem was exactly as described by OP several years ago: it shows 0%, and in my case reports a "failed firmware upgrade" after about 5-10 seconds.

After that, the switch could not be configured anymore but instead simply asks for firmware upgrade. However, when I select the correct image, which I unzipped onto the desktop (GS108Ev3_V2.00.05.bin), there's still the same error message (firmware upgrad failure).

Turning off the Windows 8.1 Firewall on both private and public networks does not help.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS108Ev3 Firmware Upgrade Issues

Hello ThomasAV, 

Welcome to the community! 

I understand you are having some issues updating the firmware of your GS108E. Here are some things that you can try: 

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of the utility, you can download it here

2. Reset the switch to "Factory Defaults", push the factory defaults button on the right side of the switch (labelled) for 10 seconds and let it reboot. 

Hope it helps! I'll look forward to your update. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ThomasAV, 

Welcome to the community! 

I understand you are having some issues updating the firmware of your GS108E. Here are some things that you can try: 

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of the utility, you can download it here

2. Reset the switch to "Factory Defaults", push the factory defaults button on the right side of the switch (labelled) for 10 seconds and let it reboot. 

Hope it helps! I'll look forward to your update. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
ThomasAV
Aspirant

Ok, after using the "Factory defaults" feature in the utility, the firmware upgrade really did work, even with active windows firewall (sorry for the post yesterday, but I thought that out of the box, it would be factory default per definition 😄 )

and after that firmware upgrade, the switch was immediately found by "arp -a" in command prompt and I could access the web interface and everything works now /happy 🙂

Thanks!

Thomas

Message 3 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ThomasAV, 

I'm glad it is working after the factory defaults. It is on factory default out of the box, but somehow the first attempt of the update might have corrupted the OS. Please remember to always back up configuration (if ever you configure the switch by adding VLANs and such). 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 5
lexav
Tutor

> somehow the first attempt of the update might have corrupted the OS

That may have happened to me (Click GSS108E) and to other ones (GS108Ev3), and the OS was so corrupt that the factory default switch didn't help. See that other thread if your factory defaults button does not appear to work:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/Web-firmware-upgrade-for-GS108Ev3-failing...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements