× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108TV3 Firmware Version V7.0.6.3 auto adding 8.8.8.8 as a DNS Server?

jackyaz
Tutor

GS108TV3 Firmware Version V7.0.6.3 auto adding 8.8.8.8 as a DNS Server?

Hi,

My new GS108TV3 appears to hardcode 8.8.8.8 as a DNS server in addition to my actual DNS Server. If I delete it it keeps coming back. Switch is configured using Static IP, Insight is disabled.

image.png

Is this a bug? In any case I run DNS interception so it won't reach 8.8.8.8, but an annoyance its trying to use it despite my best intentions

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108TV3 Firmware Version V7.0.6.3 auto adding 8.8.8.8 as a DNS Server?

Not a bug, appears more somebody had a not-so-smart idea for a new feature or behaviour. 

What you can try is configuring a second DNS IP address (to a different or even the same LAN IP - not sure if possible) - probably the smart-a** addition does no longer happen?

Keep the reality in mind: Where does the switch access DNS eg. typically to resolve an IP address from a name? This config does not affect the switching traffic.

@JohnC_V another newer fancy "feature" to be reviewed and removed ASAP, this time on the Smart Managed Pro switch model line. Yes, I'm aware these are few case where some kind of "secured customer" ISP DNS does not resolve for certain cloud services, and this could cause issues eg. for the Insight integration. 

Message 2 of 3
jackyaz
Tutor

Re: GS108TV3 Firmware Version V7.0.6.3 auto adding 8.8.8.8 as a DNS Server?

. Sadly even when adding my DNS server 8.8.8.8 still re-appears with id 0.

It's more of an annoyance, rather than a problem being caused!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements