× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Tv2 Link-up Speed Issue

ljkrush
Aspirant

GS108Tv2 Link-up Speed Issue

I have my GS108Tv2 router connected to a Synology 1815 NAS, a couple PCs and of course an internet connection through a D-Link GB Switch DGS-10240. All direct connections through the router work very well and I get transfer speeds to the NAS around 100 to 120 Mbs. However when I plug into other jacks managed by the D-Link switch my transfer speeds to the NAS drop to 10-11 Mbs. In reviewing the router port information I noticed that the Link-Up Speed for the port where the internet is connected is only operating at 100 mbs Full Duplex. All other ports in use are operating at 1gbs. Also there is no way to manually set the port higher. Testing the output from the switch I verified it's running at 1gbs. In fact another NAS I have connected directly to the switch has no file transfer issues regardless of where I am plugged in my network. The screenshot attached shows the port information.
In addition when I plug into another jack and begin a single transfer to the NAS if I pause the transfer and then restart it, the upload speed exceeds 150mps until it gets to about 95% completion and then it just tanks and completely stops at 99%. My machines are all running Windows 10 and I updated my router to the most current firmware. Wondering if anyone out there has any ideas on what might be happening. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108Tv2 Link-up Speed Issue

The GS108Tv2 is a GbE switch, not a router - thats however not the issue here. Unless the port used for the uplink on the GS108Tv2 is configured to run on 100 Mbit/s only, the best guess is that the cabling used between the GS108Tv2 and the unmanaged DGS-10240 is not wired correct so that the switches can negotiate any other speed than 10 or 100 Mbit/s. The 10..11 Mb/s throughput does clearly indicate a Fast Ethernet link only. There is either a cable with just two pairs (four strands) in the link, or the pairs are not correct crimped/pressed so the GbE link - requiring four pairs (eight strands) - so the switches can negotiate to GbE speeds.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The GS108Tv2 is a GbE switch, not a router - thats however not the issue here. Unless the port used for the uplink on the GS108Tv2 is configured to run on 100 Mbit/s only, the best guess is that the cabling used between the GS108Tv2 and the unmanaged DGS-10240 is not wired correct so that the switches can negotiate any other speed than 10 or 100 Mbit/s. The 10..11 Mb/s throughput does clearly indicate a Fast Ethernet link only. There is either a cable with just two pairs (four strands) in the link, or the pairs are not correct crimped/pressed so the GbE link - requiring four pairs (eight strands) - so the switches can negotiate to GbE speeds.

Message 2 of 3
ljkrush
Aspirant

I do know it's a switch...for some reason I keep calling the darn thing a router...old ageSmiley Tongue.  However, you were spot on.  The wall jack I'm using has a broken wire to the connector.  Plugged into another jack and I got the 1G connection I'm looking for.  Thanks for taking the time to help out....Lee

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements