× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

(GS108Tv2) VLAN Sharing Resources

_Richman
Aspirant

(GS108Tv2) VLAN Sharing Resources

Basic Network Diagram

I am looking at replacing the unmanaged switch in the diagram above with a smart managed switch to help separate the network into two. Not shown (and not fully implemented) will be a second network which is mainly focused around IP cameras of which I want to connect to the NAS. I was recommended that a VLAN enabled switch could help me in this problem, but I am quite limited on my knowledge on if this is even possible.

The network I'm trying to create should be that the IP camera network and home network should not be able to talk to each other but can still share and access the NAS as needed. Is the GS108Tv2 capable of this, plus how would one go about configuring a managed switch in this way?

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: (GS108Tv2) VLAN Sharing Resources

Hello _Richman, 

Please read this article (click here), this will give you an idea and explanation on how and when VLANs are used. It includes and example on how to setup a VLAN properly based on the setup that you want to achieve. 

Let us know if you have questions. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi _Richman,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

What is the brand and model of your NAS?  For me, I think you will need to configure Asymmetric VLAN for you to achieve your goal.  Kindly access this article as reference guide.  Hope it helps 🙂

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
_Richman
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's a Synology DS216+.

I should have also mentioned that I am completely new to what managed switches can do, including VLAN's.

Message 3 of 4
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello _Richman, 

Please read this article (click here), this will give you an idea and explanation on how and when VLANs are used. It includes and example on how to setup a VLAN properly based on the setup that you want to achieve. 

Let us know if you have questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements