× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Tv2 .. unreachable

buckZor
Guide

GS108Tv2 .. unreachable

Brought home a new GS108Tv2. Wired it up, was passing packets fine, hopped on my Juniper SRX210H (my DHCP server) and saw the IP assigned it by DHCP. Got into the device fine. Changed the device name, password and gave it a static IP address.

It was running v5.0.5.10 firmware, checked the Netgear website and saw a significantly newer firmware available, so I flashed image 2 to v5.4.2.11. Changed the next active boot image to 2. Executed reboot from web interface and it applied, came back up fine. I poked around in the interface, made no changes, went to bed.

Today, wanted to poke around in the interface, device not responding. Lights on, packets passing, but device not responding on the IP I gave it yesterday. Used paper clip to reboot it. After reboot still not responding. Passes packets just fine. Used paper clip to Factory Default reset it. Comes back up, passes packets but it is not reachable. No DHCP assignment for it on my Juniper SRX210H and obviously not responding on the IP I assigned it.

So it's working, but I have no way to reach it for management. Please advise?
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
buckZor
Guide

Re: GS108Tv2 .. unreachable

I was able to resolve my own problem with this one. I must say, browsing this forum there doesn't seem to be many responses, maybe it's completely user based with no Netgear involvement? Pity, don't think I'd have bought the switch had I seen this prior.

Regardless, on to the fix. I run all Macs in my house, when I installed Smart Control Center on my Parallels virtual, it scanned the network and found zero devices. I dug a little deeper and discovered that the adapter address SCC was using was a strange 10.0.x.x. Then checked the IP config of the virt and it too had the 10.0.x.x address. Checked the Parallel settings for the virtual and for network it was using "Shared Network". I changed it to bind directly to my Thunderbolt Ethernet and wallah, it got a 192.168.x.x address on my local area network.

NOW.. SCC found the switch on a network discovery. Interestingly it was ignoring my DHCP and using the factory default IP of 192.168.0.239. 192.168.0.x is not my network, but magically SCC was able to access it, I changed the IP address to what I wanted on my local network and wallah, it was back to working.

Hope this helps someone else, this switch is a strange mix of poop and awesome. Don't know if I'll keep it or not. I can't even determine how to completely disable QOS/COS. I'd ask here but nobody would answer. *shrug* :rolleyes:

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
buckZor
Guide

I wanted to add that I downloaded and installed the latest version of Smart Control Center and installed it on a virtual (I don't own a windows system) and it is not finding any devices. Very strange.
Message 2 of 3
buckZor
Guide

I was able to resolve my own problem with this one. I must say, browsing this forum there doesn't seem to be many responses, maybe it's completely user based with no Netgear involvement? Pity, don't think I'd have bought the switch had I seen this prior.

Regardless, on to the fix. I run all Macs in my house, when I installed Smart Control Center on my Parallels virtual, it scanned the network and found zero devices. I dug a little deeper and discovered that the adapter address SCC was using was a strange 10.0.x.x. Then checked the IP config of the virt and it too had the 10.0.x.x address. Checked the Parallel settings for the virtual and for network it was using "Shared Network". I changed it to bind directly to my Thunderbolt Ethernet and wallah, it got a 192.168.x.x address on my local area network.

NOW.. SCC found the switch on a network discovery. Interestingly it was ignoring my DHCP and using the factory default IP of 192.168.0.239. 192.168.0.x is not my network, but magically SCC was able to access it, I changed the IP address to what I wanted on my local network and wallah, it was back to working.

Hope this helps someone else, this switch is a strange mix of poop and awesome. Don't know if I'll keep it or not. I can't even determine how to completely disable QOS/COS. I'd ask here but nobody would answer. *shrug* :rolleyes:
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements