× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Tv3 Enter Registration Key - Please remove this warning

slu
Tutor
Tutor

GS108Tv3 Enter Registration Key - Please remove this warning

Hello Netgear,

we are business customer since over 14 years and have bought a number of large switches.

Now we bought a small GS108Tv3 and see this "Enter Registration Key" on the WebGUI,
luckily we can (still) ignore that "Skip Registration & Access the UI".

But this comes up again and again (Firmware V7.0.9.5), can you please add an setting to disable this completely?

Our switches will never have access to the internet, we do not need lifetime warranty or cloud configuration.

We "only" need an switch with an stable and secure firmware.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108Tv3 Enter Registration Key - Please remove this warning

@ZZero wrote:

What about this scenario: ...

https://kb.netgear.com/000061819/How-do-I-find-my-NETGEAR-registration-key

Note: Registration keys are not required for devices running recent firmware. If you cannot update to the latest firmware and require a registration key, use the instructions below.

To find your registration key in the Insight App:

1. Launch the Insight App.
  2. Select an organization.
  3. In the device list, tap your switch.
  4. Tap Diagnostics > Registration Key.
  5. Your five-digit registration key displays.

To find your registration key on MyNETGEAR:

1. Visit my.netgear.com.
  2. Enter your Email Address and Password.
  3. Note: If you do not have a MyNETGEAR account, see How do I create a MyNETGEAR account?
  4. Click NETGEAR Sign In.
  5. Select Products > My Registered Products.
  6. Select a switch to view its registration key.
  7. The product view page displays your five-digit registration key.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@slu wrote:

Now we bought a small GS108Tv3 and see this "Enter Registration Key" on the WebGUI,

luckily we can (still) ignore that "Skip Registration & Access the UI".

The amount of skip registration can be limited, watch your step. However:

@slu wrote:

Our switches will never have access to the internet, But this comes up again and again (Firmware V7.0.9.5), can you please add an setting to disable this completely?

Here it the setting you are behind: Recent firmware should no longer require the mandatory registration according to How do I find my NETGEAR registration key?  It states "Registration keys are not required for devices running recent firmware.  If you cannot update to the latest firmware and require a registration key, use the instructions below." There is no direct Internet access required for the switch. The key can be acquired using the Insight App or by a Web browser via https://my.netgear.com/  Once the switch is registered resp. the registration key is recorded, the warning will no longer show up. Hint: Put up a note with the registration key in case it's required later again why ever.

Message 2 of 7
slu
Tutor
Tutor

Well i know that i can register the switch, but why i need this at all?

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

To get rid of the nag message for example 8-) Earlier answer would have said that you can retain the full set of management features.

Look, even if you do not think about ever using the lifetime warranty in case one of these switches should break - it's a great voluntary service by the manufacturer, so doing the registration can't be asked to much. It does not even require an Internet connection from the switch to the Netgear cloud.
Message 4 of 7
ZZero
Aspirant

What about this scenario: The switch stops working and requires resetting to start from scratch. So you do the reset and try using the registration code that you wrote down when it was issued to you by Netgear, and which worked to "unlock" the switch. But now that you've reset the switch the registration code doesn't work and yet while you go around and around with Netgear support they never get to the point where, in spite of you making a clear and direct request for a new code, never seem to figure you might need a new code, so you give up and end up using the GS108TV3 to keep the dust off a rectangular spot on a shelf somewhere. That's been exactly my experience with one and only one of these switches I have purchased (which is actually more than one switch since the original and its replacement both failed within months of being put into service). Not ever requiring a registration code would remove a major roadblock that Netgear placed in the way.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@ZZero wrote:

What about this scenario: ...

https://kb.netgear.com/000061819/How-do-I-find-my-NETGEAR-registration-key

Note: Registration keys are not required for devices running recent firmware. If you cannot update to the latest firmware and require a registration key, use the instructions below.

To find your registration key in the Insight App:

1. Launch the Insight App.
  2. Select an organization.
  3. In the device list, tap your switch.
  4. Tap Diagnostics > Registration Key.
  5. Your five-digit registration key displays.

To find your registration key on MyNETGEAR:

1. Visit my.netgear.com.
  2. Enter your Email Address and Password.
  3. Note: If you do not have a MyNETGEAR account, see How do I create a MyNETGEAR account?
  4. Click NETGEAR Sign In.
  5. Select Products > My Registered Products.
  6. Select a switch to view its registration key.
  7. The product view page displays your five-digit registration key.
Message 6 of 7
ZZero
Aspirant

While those methods are well documented and expected to work, in this case the MyNetgear method provide a key but that key does not work. The IA policies I operate under to not allow for the Insight App to be loaded on any equipment but I don't expect that it would produce a usable key either.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements