× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS108Tv3 how to wake up pfsense router

gwaitsi
Guide

GS108Tv3 how to wake up pfsense router

I have a GS108Tv3 connected in a lagg config to my J1900 pfsense firewall. The firewall is connected to a dumb UPS that shuts down on a timer. This means, the device could shutdown, but power get restored before the battery runs out. The device in that circumstance wouldn't restart, because itwould have lost power.

i want to use the switch to send Wake on LAN packets to wake the pfsense box up, in the above described use case.

Can someone help me with what settings i need to change on the switch pls

Model: GS108T|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Under what conditions would you expect e.g. the switch (which won't do this on it's own - what for?) the router should be wake'd up from the network?

The typical use for WoL is that if you have some sleeping devices which need to connect or to be connected to get up some service active again. One could think about a computer or a IoT on your LAN in seek for Internet access (or LAN services) sending some magic packets. This is not something a switch does on it's own.... 

Message 2 of 8
gwaitsi
Guide

hi,

- so the pc intel J1900 4 lan port (pfsense box) has a dumb ups which shuts down based on a timer.

- if power is restored before the battery runs out, the pc never knows that it lost power but is shutdown

- i want to have network activity from the switch (preferably) or the nas box (truenas) trigger the pfsense box to come back to life.

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

The idea is to get some WoL from the devices connected to the firewall (sleeping) when the power does return? The switch can't do this - check the NAS.

Message 4 of 8
gwaitsi
Guide

The pfsense box is a Quotom J1900 4x LAN headless device.

I use two ports in a LAGG config to the GS108v3.

The other two ports go to a cable modem and fibre modem (future)

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Unrealed to the switch model - WoL can be difficult if not impossible on devices if configured to a LAG. There are technically two interfaces with two different MAC addresses, well possible the wrong MAC address will be in place with the LAGed interface...

Still, there is nohting nothing on the switch can do WoL - you need some computer or the like for WoL...

Message 6 of 8
gwaitsi
Guide

can i use the port from the cable modem to wake the pfsense

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

If the router does offer WoL capabilities.... Some routers have WoL capabilities for manually trigger a WoL using the Web UI, few allow configuring WoL along with port forwarding. But I'm not aware any common router consumer so SOHO router can do such an automatic-WoL.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements