× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS116Ev2 - Network Conflict

neoeshop
Aspirant

GS116Ev2 - Network Conflict

Yesterday I needed to change the config on one of my switches (switch 1), somehow it didn’t do what I wanted, so I reset to default settings and configured the switch to my needs. So now if Switch 1 is connected to the network switches 2 and 3 along with my AP no longer connect to the internet,if I disconnect switch 1 everything works as expected.

switcherror.drawio.png

Switch 1 is a Netgear GS116eV2

They are all running vlans, with LAGGs back to the main switch, the only difference is that Switch 1 is a Static LAGG (prior to my changes the network was running as expected). There is clearly a conflict, but I can’t work out what it is, the switches IP isn’t duplicated, it doesn’t pass out DHCP …

Has anyone come across this scenario ?

Message 1 of 5
neoeshop
Aspirant

Screenshot from 2022-10-14 16-13-03.png

Message 2 of 5
neoeshop
Aspirant

Message 3 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@neoeshop

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried disabling STP? It is possible a loop might have been overlooked. Can you provide a more detailed diagram? What ports each switch and device is connecting to would help us on reviewing what could possibly be the cause of the issue.

Have you tried using a different switch as well?

Message 4 of 5
neoeshop
Aspirant

Hi thanks for responding.

I have only Netgear switches on my network and for more than 5 odd years it's all been running fine. PfSense is my router handling DHCP and vLANS.

I have a main switch GS748Tv5 48-Port which connects to pfSense over a LAGG, all other switches connect to the main switch over an LACP LAGG (4 x GS110TPv2, 2 x GS308T). All these switches are pro versions, all work fine no issues.

Netgear Support have claimed to me that Pro and Plus switches cannot co-exist on the same network. This wasn't my experience until now.

I had trouble to enable admin mode on the GS116, I finally got this to be enabled.

Now the situation is that I can connect to the GS116 GUI when it is on the network from another switch. When I connect a device to the GS116 it does not get assigned an IP, after a while other devices on the network lose internet access. The GS116 connects to the main switch over a static LAGG on ports 1 and 2.

STP is enabled on the main switch.

Either I have configured the GS116 incorrectly (it is rather basic) or there is a fundamental problem with the Plus firmware.

Do the actual ports on the switches used for a LAGG make a difference ? Logically I'd use either the first 2 or the last 2.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements