× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS116Ev2 unable to set port VID

sniff122
Tutor

GS116Ev2 unable to set port VID

I got a GS116Ev2 last year and its worked a treat mostly, but when setting a port to another VLAN using advanced 802.1q, the port VID does not apply unless i add another lower port tagged to the VLAN and also select it when setting the port VID. When applying the port VID with say port 7 and 8 selected, port 7 will be ignored and port 8 will be applied. I noticed this forum post from 2020 with the exact same issue on the JGS516PE and there is a reply of someone with the GS116Ev2 having the same problem. This definitely appears to be a firmware bug and the fact it has been known since at least 2020 and hasnt been patched is very disappointing.

Im running the currently latest firmware available (2.6.0.48), tried factory resetting many times as well as doing an upgrade to reflash the same version in case something is corrupt what didnt fix the issue. Ive also noticed that i cant disable the DHCP client and set a static IP without loosing access to the web UI and not being able to access it until i done another factory reset so it could pick up DHCP

Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS116Ev2 unable to set port VID

@sniff122,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Based from your initial post, a hardware check needs to be conducted on your GS116Ev2 switch.  Kindly open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support at anytime here to let them know about your concern.  If your switch is found faulty, an online replacement will be processed for as long as it still has a valid hardware warranty.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
sniff122
Tutor

I've tried to open a support ticket many times but every time I've went on to open one, the chat queue has been full which is the main reason why I made the post here. I'll continue to try to contact support though, thank you
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

G'day,.

@sniff122 wrote:

I got a GS116Ev2 last year and its worked a treat mostly, but when setting a port to another VLAN using advanced 802.1q, the port VID does not apply unless i add another lower port tagged to the VLAN and also select it when setting the port VID. When applying the port VID with say port 7 and 8 selected, port 7 will be ignored and port 8 will be applied. I noticed this forum post from 2020 with the exact same issue on the JGS516PE and there is a reply of someone with the GS116Ev2 having the same problem.

As replied back then, this must be a firmware (or less probably a web browser - switch Web UI interop issue.

Both the JGS516PE and the GS116Ev2 run on the very same firmware image, so same behavior is predictable.

Can't add more - convinced this is a Netgear problem should investigate since 2020 @YeZ please.

@sniff122 wrote:

Ive also noticed that i cant disable the DHCP client and set a static IP without loosing access to the web UI

This static IP belongs to which VLAN? How do you access that IP address exactly? Aware of the "special" design of most these "E" Web managed switches, where we have no management VLAN configurable I hope.

Message 4 of 6
sniff122
Tutor

Its getting DHCP on VLAN 1 and the static IP is the subnet of VLAN 1 so im not sure whats going on there, could possibly be linked with the (likely) firmware bug with the PVID configuration maybe

Message 5 of 6
Jechang
Tutor

Hi @sniff122 ,

1. I try this issue at my local on GS116Ev2 (FW:2.6.0.48) with below steps but cannot reproduce it.
here is my steps:
1) enable advanced 802.1q vlan, create some VLANs( ex: vlan 10,11,12..)
2) add ports (ex: p1,p2,p3 )to vlan 10,11,12...
3) setup the PVID to the VLAN member ports added at step2
ex: setup port1,port2 PVID =10

4) change the DHCP mode to disable, and setup the static IP address ( same IP address as previous DHCP)

Any difference with your config ?
If yes, can you kindly help to share your config/ or detail steps for us to analysis this issue.

2. Does it works If you try with private mode on Chrome/Firefox browsing ?

Thank you.
Best regards.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements