× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS305E Between Modem and Routers?

Naga1337
Follower

GS305E Between Modem and Routers?

Hello all.  I am attempting to connect two routers (a tp-link AC1750 and a Ring Alarm Pro base station) to a modem with a single ethernet port on it (a Spectrum E31T2V1).  After doing some research to determine the best solution, I purchased a Netgear GS305E ethernet switch to facilitate this.  I attempted to install the ethernet switch between the modem and the two routers, but was unable to get either of the routers to access the internet while in this configuration.  Additionally, I was unable to connect to the ethernet switch via inputting the IP address into my browser, nor by using the Insight app on my Android phone.  The Netgear Switch Discovery Tool is also unable to detect the ethernet switch in this configuration.

Plugging the ethernet switch into the tp-link router (with the router directly plugged into the modem) allows the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool to detect the ethernet switch, and I can also find it in the Insight app (though when I select it in the app, I just get a never ending "please wait" message).  But this configuration doesn't accomplish what I am trying to accomplish (i.e. connecting both routers to the modem through the ethernet switch).  Additionally, I don't see any settings that would obviously help me accomplish this.

I'm not super knowledgeable about how all of this stuff works, so I would like to know if anyone here has any advice on how I can get this ethernet switch to work how I want it to work.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: GS305E Between Modem and Routers?

it won't work. reason why is that the majority of ISP's only assign 1 public ip address. The modem takes that address and feeds to the router which assigns private ip addresses. If there's a switch in the middle, your still only getting 1 ip address and its either assigning it to the router or the base station. 

so you need to go modem---->router---->base station. 

the base station isn't a router as far as I could find unless you have a different version than what I found for it. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements