× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308T - Enable port rate limiting

NGPC
Aspirant

GS308T - Enable port rate limiting

Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody could help me enable rate-limiting on a couple of ports on the switch. I'm not 100% sure how to do that.

My configuration is such that these two ports have Wi-Fi access points on them. One is for the tenants that live in the house, the other is for the guest network. They're both individual access points that function for Wi-Fi access for those two different parties. I wanted to only give them a slice of the bandwidth that I have on my internet connection, and was wondering how I could go about enabling those specific rate limits on the ports that those Wi-Fi access points are connected to. Both ports will have different rate limits.

If anybody can help with that, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Model: GS308T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS308T - Enable port rate limiting

Start reading the fine documentation - S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch User Manual, Models GS308T and GS310TP, p.177 ff.

9. In the Interface Shaping Rate field, specify the maximum outbound transmission rate
bandwidth in kbps.
This setting is used to shape the outbound transmission rate in increments of 16 kbps in
the range from 16 to 1,000,000 kbps. This value is controlled independently of any
per-queue maximum bandwidth configuration. It is effectively a second-level shaping
mechanism. The default value is 0. The value 0 means that the maximum is unlimited.
The expected shaping at egress interface is calculated as follows:
frameSize × shaping/(frameSize + IFG), where IFG (Inter frame gap) is 20 bytes,
frameSize is configured frame size, and shaping is configured traffic shaping.
For example, if 64 bytes frame size and 64 kbps shaping are configured, the expected
shaping is approximately 48 kbps.

10. In the Interface Ingress Rate Limit field, specify the maximum inbound transmission rate
bandwidth in kbps.
S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch Models GS308T and GS310TP
Configure Quality of Service User Manual 178
This setting is used to shape the inbound transmission rate in increments of 16 kbps in
the range from 16 to 1,000,000 kbps. The interface discards traffic that arrives at a
bandwidth in excess of the specified limit.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Start reading the fine documentation - S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch User Manual, Models GS308T and GS310TP, p.177 ff.

9. In the Interface Shaping Rate field, specify the maximum outbound transmission rate
bandwidth in kbps.
This setting is used to shape the outbound transmission rate in increments of 16 kbps in
the range from 16 to 1,000,000 kbps. This value is controlled independently of any
per-queue maximum bandwidth configuration. It is effectively a second-level shaping
mechanism. The default value is 0. The value 0 means that the maximum is unlimited.
The expected shaping at egress interface is calculated as follows:
frameSize × shaping/(frameSize + IFG), where IFG (Inter frame gap) is 20 bytes,
frameSize is configured frame size, and shaping is configured traffic shaping.
For example, if 64 bytes frame size and 64 kbps shaping are configured, the expected
shaping is approximately 48 kbps.

10. In the Interface Ingress Rate Limit field, specify the maximum inbound transmission rate
bandwidth in kbps.
S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch Models GS308T and GS310TP
Configure Quality of Service User Manual 178
This setting is used to shape the inbound transmission rate in increments of 16 kbps in
the range from 16 to 1,000,000 kbps. The interface discards traffic that arrives at a
bandwidth in excess of the specified limit.

Message 2 of 3
NGPC
Aspirant

Pefect!  Thanks for that.  I had actually done just that, but wanted the confirmation that it was the right method to use to get where and what I wanted.

I configured the 2 ports, and then tested with my desktop PC using speedtest.net.  Both checked out as being properly configured speed-limit-wise, as per those instructions.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements