× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308T VLAN across Multiple switches

inxs4
Aspirant

GS308T VLAN across Multiple switches

Hi, I'm having problems with VLANs. I have GS308Ts, We use VLANs 1, 2, 90, and 100. VLAN 1 works fine. But the other 3 only work on one switch, they don't look at devices across all 3 switches.

here is what I have on all switches, port 8 on each switch connects to the next switch.

Ports                                          VLAN 1                                   VLANs 2,90,100

1UU
2UU
3UU
4UU
5UU
6UU
7TT
8TT

VLAN 1 is for general office equipment and computers, vlan2 is for management, like HR and Finance, and 90 and 100 are for the phone system. All of these devices are spread throughout the office. We used to have all cisco gear replaced with Netgear. 

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS308T VLAN across Multiple switches

With all due respect, based on the table provided, VLAN 2, 90 and 100 cant even work on one switch resp. the ports 1...8, as all seem to be configured partially as untagged on these ports.

several configuration parts in place on your previous Cisco environment have not been migrated apparently.

Start with a table defining each switch port VLAN association, read which VLAN you want a connected device associated to.

tTen define each of these ports for an access port for the relevant VLAN.  

Message 2 of 5
inxs4
Aspirant

My knowledge of how this works is extremely limited. The guy we had to the work for us said this is how it worked.  Not surprising that he was incorrect. My boss tries to get qualified people but doesn't want to pay enough to get experienced people. Now I'm expected to get this to work and I'm beyond lost. 

We had our UC560 phone system running on Cisco powered ethernet switches previously without any problems. One of the switches died and wouldn't send power to the phones. So, instead of us replacing 1 cisco switch with the same thing, my boss made the decision to do Netgear instead.  Now it's worse than it was because we can only have phones on the same switch as the UC560, instead of anywhere in the office. 

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Convinced that this GS308T (is this a non-PoE model indeed?) can be configured with one or some ports as VLAN trunk ports to connect to the UC and/or the other switch, and have the ports connecting to the desktop phones (are there computers connected to the phones, too?).

Another wild guess: The phones are most likely powered by PoE from the switch (unless there are local power supplies and adapters in the installation). As I said above the GS308T can handle VLANs, but unlikely power the phones.

Is there some configuration documentation around on the UC and the switch config around? Do you have some kind of management access to the UC and the other switch probably?

Is there some drawing of the connections from the UC to the other switches and phones around?

Message 4 of 5
inxs4
Aspirant

I just realized this drawing was way off. We don't have any computers or printers on switch 1 any longer, they are now wireless.  I will fix it because this old one had port 6 going to multiple places, and we ran a very long ethernet cable from switch 2 to that desktop. the connection was very unstable. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements