× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS316EPP 1.0.3.4 Firmware - can no longer access the switch on the same VLAN

insecticide
Tutor

GS316EPP 1.0.3.4 Firmware - can no longer access the switch on the same VLAN

I recently upgraded the GS316EPP to the latest firmware 1.0.3.4 and all of a sudden I couldn't access the switch on the same subnet as the switch is running unless I used the default VLAN (1) admin port.  The switch is using 802.1Q basic VLAN configuration

The switch IP is statically configured to reside on one of the VLANS (71) and communicate with a router that is available via the uplink trunk.  When I use a PC on the same VLAN (71) I can't talk to the switch.  The switch apparently can no longer see the SNTP server on VLAN (71) either.  All of this was possible with the previous firmware.

If I use an admin port on the switch for VLAN (1) and set a manual address on the same subnet as the switch for the PC I can get to the GUI fine.

If I use a VLAN (71) port directly on the switch I can see the router that is also on the 71 subnet but I still cannot get to the GS316 admin page.  It's as if the admin page is only accessible on the default VLAN (1) even though the switch is on the 71 subnet.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior or do I need to change  the configuration with this new firmware?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS316EPP 1.0.3.4 Firmware - can no longer access the switch on the same VLAN

@insecticide wrote:

I can this access the switch from any subnet that has rules to get to the admin VLAN/subnet.

Like (almost) all Plus (GSxxxxE[n][n]) switches, there is no managed core, and no management VLAN, never was. Management access is indeed possible from any VLAN, _and_ on untagged connections only, and in case there is IP access configured only for that specific IP (again on any untagged) connection configured to any VLAN. Tagged connections ie. over a trunk don't allow any management access.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
insecticide
Tutor

OK, I'll answer my own question, duh 🙂

Yes, this new firmware requires that the switch be in the admin VLAN (1) so changing the switch IP to be in the admin subnet solved this problem.  I can this access the switch from any subnet that has rules to get to the admin VLAN/subnet.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

@insecticide wrote:

I can this access the switch from any subnet that has rules to get to the admin VLAN/subnet.

Like (almost) all Plus (GSxxxxE[n][n]) switches, there is no managed core, and no management VLAN, never was. Management access is indeed possible from any VLAN, _and_ on untagged connections only, and in case there is IP access configured only for that specific IP (again on any untagged) connection configured to any VLAN. Tagged connections ie. over a trunk don't allow any management access.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements