× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS316EPP not linking up at 1Gig

pnarayanswamy
Aspirant

GS316EPP not linking up at 1Gig

Hi Folks

I recently purchased Netgear GS316EPP and I am connecting it to a Netgear ProSafe 8 Port Gigabit switch and the links is not negotiating to 1G. it always remains at 100Mbps. Is this a bug or does anyone in this thread have experienced this and if yes what did you do?

I also connected a Netgear NightHawk 8000P to this device and I see that negotiating to not more than 100Mbps

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Poorna

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

make sure to use high quality cat 5e cables or cat 6 cables. I've seen sketchy cat 5e cables not connect at gigabit rates. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@pnarayanswamy 

Try a different cable. Push the cable plugs harder into the ports.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

make sure to use high quality cat 5e cables or cat 6 cables. I've seen sketchy cat 5e cables not connect at gigabit rates. 

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

What device is connected - make, model, version, OS; ... ?

The cable has four pairs (eight strands), or just two pairs?

Message 4 of 7
pnarayanswamy
Aspirant

I agree with you. It seems that the cable I  am using though shows all pins connected 1-8, and looks perfect but the cable definitely is bad. First look I thought the crimping was bad and re-crimped to get the same pathetic problem. Replaced the cable with another and I see Gig speed. I unfortunately have to rewire my whole home!!! Sad but have to redo!!!

I used cable from Amazon - FastCat Cat6 and I encourage folks not to buy this cable. Reviews in Amazon was great but I and one more who has given a review (which I missed) are victims of this shady cable. Requested Amazon for a refund but Amazon being Amazon directed me to Vendor saying please contact vendor, as return date expired!!. God knows where they source these cables and what they will do. Amazon must do some stringent quality checks!!!!

Message 5 of 7
pnarayanswamy
Aspirant

it is a straight cable 1-8 maps to 1-8

Orange White / Orange

Green White / Green

Blue White / Blue

Brown White / Brown

The link tester shows all 8 links pass like a charm but the cable (FastCat Cat6) is definitely a menace

https://www.amazon.com/fastCat-Cat6-Ethernet-Cable-1000ft/dp/B07JB4W6MF?psc=1&pd_rd_w=mZh2c&content-...

Warning to all Network Enthusiasts ==> PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!! FROM AMAZON!!!

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Really check your ends carefully. I've seen the wires nicked when stripping off the outer cover for making ends and that cause cables to still pass a continuity tester but fail actual usage. (made this mistake myself a time or 2). 

It sucks because your tester will say everything is fine because its just testing that the copper is intact. Its just once you start putting data down it that there's issues. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements