× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS324T Missing interface Ingress Rate Limit

PabloD
Aspirant

GS324T Missing interface Ingress Rate Limit

Hi.

For Some reason the "Interface Ingress Rate Limit" column is not showing up on  the CoS Interface Configuration Settings of a newly purchased GS324T switch.

It should be there according to the user manual but it is not.

I only see the Interface Shaping Rate setting which controls the download speed.

I upgraded to the latest firmware and it is still missing.

We specifically need this functionality (and The Interface shaping Rate) to limit both upload and download speeds on the ports.

Any ideas of how to sort this?

GS324T.jpg

Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS324T Missing interface Ingress Rate Limit

Just to avoid or trigger some finger pointing: What Web browser (aside of Internet "security" and basic operation system) is in use there?  

Message 2 of 10
PabloD
Aspirant

Any browser.

It's all the same.

It looks like the "ingress rate limit" setting was removed on newer versions.

I bought new switches and I have now a GS324T and a GS724T v4 and none of them have it.

The functionality is listed in the user manuals of the GS324T and GS724T but it seems to not be listed on the GS724T v4.

I am not sure when or why it was removed and if I can revert back to a firmware that still has it.

Message 3 of 10
PabloD
Aspirant

So.

I tested earlier a GS716T that had this functionality (both ingress and egress rate control).

I needed something with more ports so went with the GS324T and found it doesn't have it although it does show up in the user manual.

I got a GS724T v4 thinking maybe it's available only on the 700 family but it's also missing.

Apparently it used to be available on the GS724T v3 (acording to the user manual) but I canot get my hands on one of those at the moment.

I still do not know why or when this functionality was removed or what current model still has it.

While I would prefer to use Netgear switches, at this point I am looking a Zyxel ones that do have this available because I can not get an answer from Netgear on what model will have this.

Message 4 of 10
schumaku
Guru

This looks more like a feature lost in implementation ...

Scratch the idea of a 700 Series - a much to wide and decades long  features exposed often depend on the OEM implementation, the core switch, ...

Acton items for @DaneA @JohnC_V @Marc_V @JeraldM please.

Message 5 of 10
PabloD
Aspirant

From Netgear support:

Upon checking with our resources GS324T doesn't have "ingress rate limit". However, we could find the option GS108T in our labs. and you may also check the models GS308T/GS110TP for "ingress rate limit".

It seems for some reason that functionality was stripped from some units and is still available in others in the same family.

My thinking is either there was a chipset change on newer models that don't support that functionality or it was removed from the software/firmware for some other reason I cannot figure out.

Obviously, the suggested GS308T/GS110TP are no suitable substitutes as they only have 8/10 ports while the GS324T/GS724T are 24 ports.

Unfortunately, it seems this is a lost function for Netgear and we won't be able to use them now.

It would be great if someone can shed some light on why this functionality was dropped on these units..

Cheers

Message 6 of 10
RennaD
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @PabloD,

Let me check with engineering team if GS324T and GS724Tv4 is designed to have this feature or not.

As for the GS716T that you tested, can you share what firmware version is it on?

Have a lovely day,
RennaD
Netgear Team

Message 7 of 10
PabloD
Aspirant

Hi @RennaD

Unfortunately i no longer have any of these units.

The first GS716T that i tested and confirmed that had the functionality was returned to be replaced by bigger units with 24 ports and I do not know what firmware it was running on.

The GS324T was ordered in it's place and although the functionality was listed on it's user manual, it was not available on that unit on any of the firmwares available for it as i both updated it to latest version and downgraded to the oldest available without success.

Thinking it might be a family limitation I changed that unit for a GS724T v4 which turned out to also not have that functionality.

Upon further looking into the users manuals, the functionality is listed for the GS724T but on the specific user manual for v4 it's not (no warning or mention of it being removed though)

I'd love to know more about when and why this functionality was lost as it was listed on the user manuals for both the GS324T and GS724T at some point and version.

If it's only a software/firmware issue, it should be easy to sort although my guess is there might be some chipset limitation on the newer versions that would make it impossible to have this functionality restored on any future firmware updates.
Unfortunately at this point i had no other choice so i returned all the netgear units and bought a different brand of switches that have that functionality on them as Netgear support was unable to provide a model option that had it with at least 24 ports on it.
Message 8 of 10
RennaD
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @PabloD,

Just got an update from engineering and they confirmed that GS724Tv4, GS324T/TP and GS348T do not support ingress rate limiting. They advised that GS308T/310TP do support ingress rate limiting. It looks like the larger port count models cannot support it.

The data sheets and user manuals will be updated accordingly.

Have a lovely day,

RennaD
Netgear Team

Message 9 of 10
PabloD
Aspirant

Thanks RennaD.

This functionality was listed on previous versions of these units.

Do you know when it was dropped?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements