× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS324TP D-disable mode problem

Bradders1664
Aspirant

GS324TP D-disable mode problem

Hi

I'm using a GS324TP switch in a home network environment with PoE Unifi AC wifi mesh devices and numerous ethernet ports around the home.

I'm having a problem with one port connected to a PoE Unifi device where the port admin mode is switching to d-disable resulting in the wifi for that area of the home being lost of course.

It is occurring approximately once every 12-24 hours. 

When I change the mode back to enabled it continues to operate as normal as the fault must have cleared.

Is it possible I have a loop somehow on a single cable connected to a single end-point device, i.e.not connected to another switch?

I've tested the cable using a cable checker and it seems fine.  The wifi mesh device seems fine too; no faults reporting.

Any ideas what might be causing it or what settings i can change to help fault find or stop the port disabling?

Thanks in advance,

Bradders

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS324TP D-disable mode problem

Best guess there is STP enabled on the GS324TP - something standard on such configurations.

If an STP configured switch does find a loop, the most likely loop port has to be shut...

Cumbersome is that especially older Unify mesh systems don't support using the dedicated wireless backhaul (and not STP). 

The wireless uplink feature on the Unifi mesh was never designed to be used as a hardwire failover. The uplink feature is automatically enabled from the initial setup. If the cable goes down, it will go into uplink mode, but it's not design to fail back over when the cable becomes active. If you don't need the wireless mesh uplink feature, I would disable it in the controller.

Challenge Ubiquity Unifi support or their community FMI.

Message 2 of 3
Bradders1664
Aspirant

Re: GS324TP D-disable mode problem

Thanks, that makes good sense.
I will try this and revert back.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation