× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Betreff: GS324TP S350 SFP Port deactivates after 30 seconds to 2 hours

Nettailer
Tutor

GS324TP S350 SFP Port deactivates after 30 seconds to 2 hours

Dear Community,

I have a Netgear GS324TP in use as main switch for my home. It is running fine for two years now.

Recently I have switched my router to a Ubiqity Dreambox Pro and connected the switch via SFP Port. For about 1 Month this setup worked just fine.

However two days ago the link between the Router and the switch went down the first time. After Restarting the switch the setup worked fine for about 18 hours, then the connection went down again. After restarting the switch the connection now works between 30 seconds to about 2 hours. I have not identified any pattern that makes the switch go down.

For debugging purposes I disconnected every port on the switch and also on the router and only connected the router and the switch via SFP cable. The connection is still deactivated after a short time.

In the port overview the port (25) is shown as "D-deaktiviert" (German) probably "D-deactivated" in englisch.

In the log I have found the following entry that protocolls the deactivation, however I do not know what is meant by exceeding the rate limit and how I can prevent it:

<14> Oct 2 01:46:10 192.168.1.10-1 DOT1S[dot1s_timer_tas]: dot1s_control.c(1598) 2178 %% INFO Rate limit of 15 for 3 consecutive seconds has been exceeded on port g25
<12> Oct 2 01:46:10 192.168.1.10-1 DOT1S[dot1s_timer_tas]: dot1s_ih.c(2010) 2177 %% WARN Diagnostically disabling interface g25 as rate limit of 15 for 3 consecutive seconds has been exceeded

I have tried the following to resolve the issue without luck:

- using the other SFP port 26

- resetting to factory settings

- using an old firmware image

Do you have any idea what might be the issue?

Kind regards

Kai

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS324TP S350 SFP Port deactivates after 30 seconds to 2 hours

@Nettailer,

If I am using the old router with the GS324 the problem did not occur so far (running for 4 hours now).

I am using a 10Gtek Gigabit SFP Cable (Twinax Direct Attach Copper, Passive). However the issue occurs also on "normal" ports. So I assume it is not the SFP connection that is causing the problem.

It seems that there is a compatibility issue between the Ubiquity Dreambox Pro and the GS324TP because if you are using your old router with the GS324TP, it works just fine.

I suggest you to set up port mirroring on the GS324TP switch.  Select the SFP port (that is connected to the Ubiquity Dreambox Pro) as the source port on the GS324TP switch.  Then, select another ethernet port as the destination port on the GS324TP switch where a PC (installed with Wireshark) is directly connected.  Run Wireshark and observe.  It would be best that Wireshark would be able to capture what happens in the source port (wait for the connection to go down as you have stated in your initial post).  The moment that the issue happens, stop Wireshark and save the packet capture.

Note: You can get another packet capture but this time, use the ethernet port (that is connected to the Ubiquity Dreambox Pro) as the source port since you mentioned that the issue also occurs using the normal ports. 

Kindly read pages 319-321 of the GS324TP user manual here on how to set up port mirroring.  You may download Wireshark here.  As reference, check this link I found online on how to use Wireshark.  

For the captured packets to be analyzed, kindly open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support here and attach the captured packets from Wireshark for it to be analyzed by the NETGEAR Support team as well as state your concern. 

Regards,  

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Nettailer
Tutor

Addendum to the inital post:

- the port deactivation also occurs on "normal" (non SFP) ports e.g. port 5

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Nettailer,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

If you will disconnect your current Ubiqity Dreambox Pro router and connect again your previous router that you were using, does same problem occur?

What is the model of the SFP module you are using? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
Nettailer
Tutor

Hi DaneA,

thank you for the warm welcome!

If I am using the old router with the GS324 the problem did not occur so far (running for 4 hours now).

I am using a 10Gtek Gigabit SFP Cable (Twinax Direct Attach Copper, Passive). However the issue occurs also on "normal" ports. So I assume it is not the SFP connection that is causing the problem.

I suspect that the Dream Maschine is doing "strange things". I also factory resetted it but this did not solve the issue.

On the other hand a Netgear ProSafe GS108Tv2 and a Netgear GSS116E did not shut down any port while connected to the Dream Maschine so far.

The Ubiquiti support claims the error occurs on the netgear device and they cannot help with the error message.

I also do not quite understand what the message tries to say with:

Diagnostically disabling interface g25 as rate limit of 15 for 3 consecutive seconds has been exceeded

I understand it is disabling the port but what does rate limit of 15 mean in this context? Is the sender sending to fast?

Best regards

Kai

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Nettailer,

It seems that there is a compatibility issue between the Ubiquity Dreambox Pro and the GS324TP because if you are using your old router with the GS324TP, it works just fine.

I suggest you to set up port mirroring on the GS324TP switch.  Select the SFP port (that is connected to the Ubiquity Dreambox Pro) as the source port on the GS324TP switch.  Then, select another ethernet port as the destination port on the GS324TP switch where a PC (installed with Wireshark) is directly connected.  Run Wireshark and observe.  It would be best that Wireshark would be able to capture what happens in the source port (wait for the connection to go down as you have stated in your initial post).  The moment that the issue happens, stop Wireshark and save the packet capture.

Note: You can get another packet capture but this time, use the ethernet port (that is connected to the Ubiquity Dreambox Pro) as the source port since you mentioned that the issue also occurs using the normal ports. 

Kindly read pages 319-321 of the GS324TP user manual here on how to set up port mirroring.  You may download Wireshark here.  As reference, check this link I found online on how to use Wireshark.  

For the captured packets to be analyzed, kindly open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support here and attach the captured packets from Wireshark for it to be analyzed by the NETGEAR Support team as well as state your concern. 

Regards,  

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
Nettailer
Tutor

Hi DaneA,

thank you so much for your great support. I have setup the mirroring however I have found the issue before using it. Indeed it was neither the GS324TP nor the Dreambox but a defect LAN cable that caused the issues. 

The cable was used to connect an access point directly to the Dreambox. 

I never expected a defect cable could crush the whole network. Well I guess you never stop learning.

Thanks again and see you.

Kind regards

Kai

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements