× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724T V2 How to configure a LAG pair

Sparticle
Aspirant

GS724T V2 How to configure a LAG pair

Hello I have a GS724T V2 the product specs and docs state that it is capable of LAG and LACP and I need to configure 2 ports as a LAG pair and connect them to my ESXI 6.7 U3 server.

I cannot see any LAG config options in the Web UI.

How do I configure 2 ports to operate as an aggregated 2Gb link?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Spart

Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS724T V2 How to configure a LAG pair

Start here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS724Tv2.aspx#docs and look around what was available on these Gigabit Ethernet switches.

Not aware there was any kind of bonding functionality available back then. No idea where you discovered the features mentioned.

Message 2 of 9
Sparticle
Aspirant

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS724Tv2/enus_ds_gs724t.pdf

Clearly states:

- Port Trunking - Manual as per IEEE802.3ad
Link Aggregation

But no information as to how to configure it.

Cheers

Spart

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/FSxxxT_GSxxxT_smartswitch_UserManual.pdf

Switch> Trunking Page

p4-10 ff

not that transparent I admit 8-)

Message 4 of 9
Sparticle
Aspirant

So just enable a trunk group and select the ports and thats it?

So example. These 2 ports are connected to the vswitch in ESXI 6.7

Screenshot from 2022-12-06 17-27-15.png

Message 5 of 9
Sparticle
Aspirant

That didn't work. It caused weird issues on the network. 

ESXI does load balancing on the pair of connections and link failover if one of the links fails.

Some kind of mismatch going on. 

Still looking for an answer.

Cheers

Spart

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Haven't evaluated in detail. Just spotted some interesting but also confusing bits on port groups.

Seriously, I would go for a known correctly switch, not some almost two decade old devices...
Message 7 of 9
Sparticle
Aspirant

Yes, thank you for the usual. Just replace it comment! The world is overflowing with discarded devices that probably have many serviceable years left in them, because it was easier to simply throw them away rather than spend time trying to find a solution.

The manuals for the device clearly state that it supports the IEEE standard and you can configure 'manual' link aggregation. Just no information as to how to correctly configure it.

Cheers
Spart

Message 8 of 9
Mjss
Aspirant

Hello,

I have this Product Also, and want to set a Lag to Esxi. Unfortunatelly I think it is not working.

There is some issues I believe due to the Vlan configuration, but there the main issue is this:

Set a LAG for Ports 13/14, Lag is then set has U in vlan 10.(Ports are also set U at Vlan 10)

I think ports should not be set at the Vlan, but if i clear the set at ports and leave only at the Lag. then comm goes down.

What I think is that, it  need to set the LAG at the Vmware switch by using Vcenter, you are not able to set it from Esxi.

Note: I have 3 Switch, and there are several lags going between different vlans between switches, but i was never able to have it working to the vmare esxi, exactly because of what i said.

Can anyone confirm this?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements