Re: GS728TS - Optical Ports SFP or SFP+?

stevefxp
Apprentice

GS728TS - Optical Ports SFP or SFP+?

I have obtained two GS728TS switches. Yes I know they are EoL but thats ok. My question is whether the SFP ports are standard SFP or SFP+? If SFP+ is 10 gig supported? How can I tell what version of the switch I have?

The website says SFP+ but the documentation seems to say SFP.

Model: GS728TS(B)|ProSAFE 24-Port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch with 4 SFP uplinks
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The user manual says

"The NETGEAR GS728TS, GS728TPS, GS752TS, or GS752TPS Smart Switch provides
either 24 (GS728TS and GS728TPS) or 48 (GS752TS and GS752TPS) twisted-pair ports
that support nonstop 10/100/1000M networks. The switch also has six built-in Small Form
Factor Pluggable (SFP) GBIC slots, 2 of which are combo ports, 2 of which are dedicated
1000M ports, and the last 2 ports can be used for 1000M uplink or 2.5 Gbps stacking."

In case you have not got the stacking cable with the switches - these were originally sold in a bundle with a stacking cable (read: a passive DAC) a passive SFP+ DAC should do the job on 2.5G.

Message 2 of 5
stevefxp
Apprentice

Yea the user manual says SFP but their web page says SFP+. That's where the confusion is. Even the firmware release notes talk about 10g for the combo ports.
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The two stacking ports are SFP+ with 2.5G speed cap - the Netgear 10G SFP+ modules AXM761/762/763 can be used for long-distance stacking for the GS7xxTS/TPS. However, the stacking bandwidth is still 2.5G per port. As SFP+ and fiber does not support speed negotiation, this works because everything is operating at 2.5G.

Message 4 of 5
stevefxp
Apprentice

Ahhh...that makes more sense. When I see SFP+ I think 10g support!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements