× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS748Tv5, TRAPMGR[55469028] Link Down / Link Down when mirroring

DMalon
Aspirant

GS748Tv5, TRAPMGR[55469028] Link Down / Link Down when mirroring

I have 2 hardware devices that are producing ethernet traffic and I want to mirror the traffic to my PC port so that I can capture the information via Wireshark. At the point when I enabled mirroring on the switch, all ethernet communication is halted for the PC. Turning mirroring off usually opens up the PC port but not always. In the switch logs I am seeing the following entries repeating.

<13> Jan 1 16:26:09 172.18.32.191-1 TRAPMGR[55469028]: traputil.c(696) 7522 %% Link Down: g18
<13> Jan 1 16:25:56 172.18.32.191-1 TRAPMGR[55469028]: traputil.c(696) 7521 %% Link Up: g18

Can anyone tell me what Trap manager does and if there is a setting on the switch that can solve my issues. I did check to see that my Auto-DoS mode was disabled. I work in a software lab so have done this many times with other switches but this is a new switch and my switch knowledge is not the best.

Model: GS748Tv5|ProSafe 48 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS748Tv5, TRAPMGR[55469028] Link Down / Link Down when mirroring

@DMalon wrote:

Schumaku was this what you were refering to above, about having a seperate network card when using this switch? 

Yes.. (wanted to say of course, but sorry if I was unclear before).

There is some confusion, because it appears not all Netgear switches handle this similar. Some seem to keep the network connectivity, and adding the mirrored aata on top.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

For a reliable mirroring I'd strongly suggest using a dedicated mirror port and a dedicated adapter on the monitoring PC. Note: Not all mirroring features on switches are implemented the same way.
Message 2 of 7
DMalon
Aspirant

Would that be the same as having a seperate PC for switch management then the one that is doing the Wireshark capture? Removes all the background clutter from the Wireshark port?

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@DMalon wrote:

Would that be the same as having a seperate PC for switch management then the one that is doing the Wireshark capture?

PCs with multiple network adapters exist for a while (lol), and most newer systems have USB ports supporting 5 Gb or 10 Gb USB dongles.

@DMalon wrote:

Removes all the background clutter from the Wireshark port?

Of course, yes.

Message 4 of 7
DMalon
Aspirant

The responses here seem more of a best practice. My whole

@schumaku wrote:

@DMalon wrote:

Would that be the same as having a seperate PC for switch management then the one that is doing the Wireshark capture?

PCs with multiple network adapters exist for a while (lol), and most newer systems have USB ports supporting 5 Gb or 10 Gb USB dongles.

@DMalon wrote:

Removes all the background clutter from the Wireshark port?

Of course, yes.

My network is a small software lab in its own sandbox so I can control the background traffic and more importantly keep my traffic off the corporate network. Any other ideas or pointers where I can research the issue myself. I am running out of things to try and look into.

Model: GS748T|48-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 5 of 7
DMalon
Aspirant

I found some additional information. When mirroring, the port I select as the destination port is disconnected as a participant from the network when I enable mirroring. I did descover that I do seem to have the mirroring traffic that I am wanting to see active on that port though.

On the GS748Tv5, can a port be a network participant and a mirroring destination at the same time? If this is functioning as designed then there is no issue. You would think that this would be documented better in the Software Administration manual. 

Schumaku was this what you were refering to above, about having a seperate network card when using this switch? That suggestion would certinly have solved my issue.  

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@DMalon wrote:

Schumaku was this what you were refering to above, about having a seperate network card when using this switch? 

Yes.. (wanted to say of course, but sorry if I was unclear before).

There is some confusion, because it appears not all Netgear switches handle this similar. Some seem to keep the network connectivity, and adding the mirrored aata on top.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements