× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS750E cannot Link to Intel X710 network card

DinoG
Tutor

GS750E cannot Link to Intel X710 network card

I am trying to connect with SFP to two different Intel Network cards, X722 and X710 and I do not get a Link LED.  The INTEL cards have SFP+ ports.

Did anyone had a similar problem?

PS I use SFP connection to a couple of Netgear switches with no problem (between them)

I am at loss!

Maybe INTEL is not compatible with Netgear?

Thanks

Model: GS750E|48 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS750E cannot Link to Intel X710 network card

Dino,

@DinoG wrote:

The Netgear SPF port can ONLY work with the following three Modules:

AGM731F = Tranceiver 1000 base-SX (Short RANGE MULTIMODE)

AGM732F = Tranceiver 1000 base-lX (LONG RANGE MULTIMODE)

AGM734-10000S = Tranceiver 1000 base-T Copper RJ45 GBIC 

This might be the appropriate support answer - Netgear does (like many other vendors) only support their own modules. However, they don't reject modules not carrying the appropriate vendor ID and name in this switch class.

The point is - as explained before - is that (lack of any link speed negotiation in the SFF standards) you can't operate SFP+ modules in SFP ports, you can't link a 1000BASE-SX-/LX with a 10GBASE-SX/-LX module, and you can't use a DAC to connect an SFP with an SFP+ port, too.

The problem with your initial post is that you have not provided any information on how you tried to connect. In the SFP/SFP+ world, things are much more complex than with copper Ethernet.

Regards,

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Dino,

It's key to explain on how you tried to link the Intel adapters (with SFP+ 10G/1G typically) to the GS750E (SFP, 1G only). As neither fiber links nor DAC connections know anything like automatic link rate negotiation, the link speed must be equal on both sides.

Examples:

You can't use a DAC cable to connect an SFP+ with an SFP port (no DAC for SFP to SFP btw,, too - only SFP+ to SFP+). 

For a fiber link connecting an SFP+ adapter to an SFP device like the GS750E, you must use 1G fiber modules on both ends. SFP+ slots can work with 10G and 1G SFP modules.

Another restriction can exist on the Intel SFP+ adapters: Some are designated -DA ... these can only be used with [passive] DAC, the slots can't acommodate active modules like fiber or active DAC [longer DAC cables].

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 5
DinoG
Tutor

I talked with a tech at Netgear.  The Netgear SPF port can ONLY work with the following three Modules:

I ordered a different switch with SFP+ ports 😞

Thank you

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Dino,

@DinoG wrote:

The Netgear SPF port can ONLY work with the following three Modules:

This might be the appropriate support answer - Netgear does (like many other vendors) only support their own modules. However, they don't reject modules not carrying the appropriate vendor ID and name in this switch class.

The point is - as explained before - is that (lack of any link speed negotiation in the SFF standards) you can't operate SFP+ modules in SFP ports, you can't link a 1000BASE-SX-/LX with a 10GBASE-SX/-LX module, and you can't use a DAC to connect an SFP with an SFP+ port, too.

The problem with your initial post is that you have not provided any information on how you tried to connect. In the SFP/SFP+ world, things are much more complex than with copper Ethernet.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 4 of 5
DinoG
Tutor

The first sentence in my initial post is :"I am trying to connect with SFP to two different Intel Network cards, X722 and X710 and I do not get a Link LED.  The INTEL cards have SFP+ ports."

The title/header has the part numbers.  I am not sure what else I would have added.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements