× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS752TXS bricked due to firmware-update?

RobLigt
Aspirant

GS752TXS bricked due to firmware-update?

Hi,

In our continues efforts trying to be green we are still repurposing our NG switches;

A GS752TSX had an older firmware running so we downloaded the latest one, followed the outlined NG procedure (GS728TXS / GS752TXS Firmware Version 6.1.0.39)  in upgrading the firmware.
All that went thru as expected, worked and no signs at all of any issues.

However, after a reboot the switch appeared to be bricked;

- Power LED: Orange

- FAN LED: Off
- ID display: "Off" (very dimly lit on all segments)

- Stack Master: Off (does turn on for about 6 seconds during power-up, does also turn on for about 6 seconds when pressing the "reset-button.

- All the ETH port LEDs are on/lit green.

What is the step-by-step procedure to initiate a recovery please?
I would assume a long press of the reset-button but not sure if that worsens the situation.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS752TXS bricked due to firmware-update?

@RobLigt,

Let us try to perform a factory reset on your GS752TXS and observe if it will boot up properly.

If still the same problem after doing a factory reset, I suggest you to open a support ticket with the NETGEAR Support Team at anytime here for further hardware check.  If the switch has been declared faulty, be ready to submit a soft copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of your GS752TXS for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will be processed.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
RobLigt
Aspirant

Re: GS752TXS bricked due to firmware-update?

Yes, it is indeed bricked, no reset brings it back to life.
And that simply because of a firmware-update where NG neglected to warn (anywhere!) to do updates in incremental steps. (if your current version is too old)

Very unfortunate that despite this being a very likely occurrence if not careful (when dealing with switches collecting dust and probably having very old firmware). there is no warning about this issue anywhere except a mention once (now twice) on this Community?

Getting the paperwork is too much hassle, I guess I will need to scrap this one.
Such a waste as we re-use these for schools & ngo's.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements